Fender cleans
Princeton Reverb
Showman (combo with a Weber 15)

Tweed:
Tweed Princeton head clone I got cheap, through alnico 10

Fake Marshall:
Marshall TMB Clone through cannabis Rex 12

Hi gain:
Hudsonics 1 watt amp head (https://hudsonics.co.uk/, a fellow i know by the wonders of the internet) through 8  tone tubby, or the cannabis 12 or alnico 10, depending.

Vox: AC10 I bought from a friend who was having trouble paying rent. It’s in a back room, love that sound but don’t have room.

I had this thought about getting one combo amp that could replace Princeton cleans, tweed tones, and Marshall grind.

But that does not exist.

But it would be cool to get rid of 2 amps and replace them with one.

Maybe an expensive boutique amp, Carr or Swart, to replace two of them.

But at the same time I can get so many tones I like out of this jumble of amps.

losthighway
resurrected

Re: How many guitar amps?

Post by losthighway » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:34 pm

I love amps, I own about 5 myself, but if I wanted to talk myself into clearing out the stable a little and do some addiction enabling at the same time I'd look into one of these:

http://3rdpower.com/kitchen-sink-6vel/

Versatile and a half.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm

Hot take - zero. Or maybe one. Unless you just have amps for other people to use.

I’ve had a lot, especially the “help a friend pay the rent” type purchases, but from a home studio perspective, I feel like between one good amp and direct recording tools I get everything I need and extra amps would just get in the way.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:10 pm

losthighway wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:34 pm
I love amps, I own about 5 myself, but if I wanted to talk myself into clearing out the stable a little and do some addiction enabling at the same time I'd look into one of these:

Wow, lots of options. I’d probably have to play it and see if those tones worked for me.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:32 pm

standup wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:10 pm
losthighway wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:34 pm

Wow, lots of options. I’d probably have to play it and see if those tones worked for me.
Yeah, my buddy's been playing one and swears by it. We'd been meaning to have beers and amps night so he could check out my Dr. Z Jetta (almost no options, but yet surprisingly versatile) and then the covid hit- so I haven't gotten to try one yet. Captivating design though.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:22 pm

I own seven, I think. LOL.

I rarely use them, only when I am by myself in the house, which is never this year.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:49 pm

I have too many not to be embarrassed to be thought bragging if I say.

That said, I am becoming a little ambivalent about it.

I have the major food groups, and there is nothing like the joy of plugging in and getting that sound and that feel, whatever it may be, when and where I want it.

But I have a number of simulation options, from digi multi-FX to Tech 21 and even Joyo character pedals to outboard pre's and cab simulators that I have accumulated in recent and over the years ...

And if I had to make do with a ProJr and some dirt pedals, I think I could be happy.

But damn, it's cool and inspiring to walk in the room and see 'em, turn one on and get to wanking.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:39 am

Real amps (plenty of sims too). For others to play, or for re-amping, or for the occasion when I have time to try to play...

Fender Blues Junior (Cannibis Rex and BillM tonestack mod)
Egnater Tweaker 15
Egnater Rebel 20 combo
Fender Excelsior (tremelo mod)
Yamaha G50-112ii (great clean channel, horrible distortion channel...)
Pignose
Eden Nemesis NC115 (bass)

for in between, I've got an original Pod 2.0 (it worked for Ty Tabor right?)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:56 am

I've also got a bunch. More than I need probably but it's hard to unload them and not regret it. Most of mine are weirdo vintage Canadian made tube amps.

Lero branded Vibro Champ clone made by Garnet.
Garnet 1x12 combo (no model name but it's killer).
Regal 1x15 piggy back combo. More or less a Deluxe with a 15" Jensen. It sounds unbelievable with single coils. Crank up the trem an pretend you are Pops Staples.
Magnatone Varsity Deluxe.
Traynor Custom Special Reverb head (often used for bass with a vintage 1x15 Traynor cab).
Ampeg B15 preamp clone run into an Altec power amp and into the 1x15 Traynor cab.
Film-o-Sound solid state squawk box with a 3' speaker that sounds like the apocalypse.

I'd say keep what you've got if you've got room. I get better results having a bunch of instruments/amps that do one or two things perfectly vs having a swiss army knife.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:12 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:56 am
Traynor Custom Special Reverb head (often used for bass with a vintage 1x15 Traynor cab).
ooh, I've got an old TR-1 that looks like this one -- https://reverb.com/item/18210903-1968-t ... lack-tolex

very springy!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:48 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:12 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
ooh, I've got an old TR-1 that looks like this one -- https://reverb.com/item/18210903-1968-t ... lack-tolex

very springy!
I love those. I've had chances at them several times and regretted not pulling the trigger.

Mine is this one -

It's more or less a bassman circuit with trem and reverb. This amp may be my greatest deal ever. I found it in a pile of trash in the freight elevator of my old rehearsal studio. It was 1991 and the building was full of metal bands. I guess it just didn't cut it for the metal guys. It needed a new pre-amp tube but was otherwise perfect.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:51 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:48 pm
digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:12 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:

very springy!
I love those. I've had chances at them several times and regretted not pulling the trigger.

Mine is this one -

It's more or less a bassman circuit with trem and reverb. This amp may be my greatest deal ever. I found it in a pile of trash in the freight elevator of my old rehearsal studio. It was 1991 and the building was full of metal bands. I guess it just didn't cut it for the metal guys. It needed a new pre-amp tube but was otherwise perfect.
Traynors are incredible amps. As good as any Marshall I've played. I can use my YBA-1 interchangeably with my JMP. They don't sound identical, but they are close and it's not like going from a JMP to a Twin Reverb or whatever. They're playing the same sport. I kind of can't believe that somehow the prices have managed to stay in the range they are in.

I use mine for metal all the time too. Whoever threw that thing out is an idiot.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:12 am

Deluxe Reverb
Champ
Mesa studio .22
Gibson Scout
Danelectro DM25

All worth more than I paid for them! Which was surprising. I was going to sell all of them since I hadn't plugged them in for years and just used amp sims (infinitely more convenient to record), but then I plugged them in to make sure they still worked and OOOHHHH RIGHT. So I got the Bugera power soak and it's been the best thing ever. Because even a Deluxe Reverb is way too loud for my delicate ears. And it's really been so nice to be able to play through an amp at conversational volume.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:21 am

Sounds like you have the food groups covered.
6L6
6V6
EL84
EL34
plus some gainers.

You've got 10's, 12's and a 15.

I still kind of err on the side of amps that do one thing great for the studio.
The ones that have to do more than that I think of more as live rigs (for somebody else).

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:45 am

That's an interesting definition of "food groups".

I think of that more as the general area of sound of what a brand/type of amp is known for. I divide mine as:
Marshall
Mesa
vintagey Fender small
Fender Twin
Vox
S/S with trem

for bass:
Ampeg
Fender
Mesa
everything else

The amp brand and even model is not necessarily defining, I have a Rickenbacker M8E that is totally vintagey Fender small, a Vox Nightrain 50 what also does a great Marshall sound, an Ampeg VT60 that does Mesa and Marshall and Fenderish and makes a great low-power bass amp, a Musicman HD130 that does a great Twin and makes a awesome bass head ...

But I can see it: the various glass sounds different as do the cabs/drivers. I lack a 15" guitar cab, altho' I have such a bass cab; my only multi-driver cabs are for bass.

And then I also have a collection of silly little S/S stuff like the Zeus and a novelty tweed Fender and a Mini-Mouse, etc.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.