Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: How many guitar amps?

Post by Magnetic Services » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:25 am

kslight wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
between one good amp and direct recording tools I get everything I need and extra amps would just get in the way.
Same, I use one small combo amp and Guitar Rig equally :mrgreen:

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:02 pm

I switch between a deluxe and an ac30 for the bulk of what I do here. I also have a vibro champ and super that I like, but use less frequently. I have been doing more DI electric with effects just as a different kind of sound over the past number of years as well... Usually that's for something way more out there and pitchshifted or super wet ... not for a more straight up electric tone. The chandler TG2 DI is awesome for this.
the new rules : there are no rules

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:48 pm

Ampeg V4/chopped down vt-22,used as a bass amp for now. GREAT STONES/FACES BALLZ OUT TONE.
Ampeg gemini 1x12,best trem and reverb ever.
Vox Ac30cch/bluebacks.
80's Marshall jcm800 1x12 50 watt combo original tubes
Silvertone 1483 (Thanks,Andy!)

cabinets:
1x12" vintage 30 celestion-tilted baffle-looks like an old magnatone.
4x12" Ampeg V4-2 creambacks up top,2 G12h30's on bottom.
homebuilt 2x10" with speakers from an old hammond pr-series cab.

18'x16x12 room.
Everything mic'd up,walk in,hit record,practice,see if we can keep something and overdub.
I am the Walnut

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:16 pm

I can seriously say that "no more than one amp" is ever needed. In fact, "no amp" is needed. Found this out when needing to record quietly, and used a fuzz pedal. Even today when listening back ..the pedal sounds like an amp. Fools me every time.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:13 am

Just shooting the sh*t here, I always try to explain to other guitarists that the reason I prefer tube amps to S/S is that I feel, particularly when playing loud, that I am playing the amp as much as the guitar.

I think it's one reason that I like effects when I play bass ...

I feel the same about simulators and DI versus tube amps. And I do DI sometimes, mebbe a cuppla tracks a year, and I periodically immerse myself in simulators, occasionally use a simulator out of convenience ...

But amps, I love 'em as much as I do instruments.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:16 am

We've got about 14 amps at Old House Studio, but a lot of them are really oddball little things. Surprisingly (or maybe not so), it's the weird ones that get the most use. Most bands that come in have amps that they like, although our 70s Marshall Super Lead/4x12 and our tweed Deluxe clone get a lot of attention. Stuff like our Pro Jr. and our Hot Rod Deluxe are great amps, but they don't get much use, so I've been thinking about getting rid of them. But the weird ones get used a lot for overdubs and I won't likely part with my Vox Pacemaker, Alamo Jet, Melodier 007, or my weird little Airline amp. Those things get used all the time!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:25 am

That's very cool!

When I have guys in my little home place for jams, of all my small amps, they seem to like the Tech 21 Trademark 10 watt.

Recording-wise, the Silver Jubilee 2504, every time.

Me, lately I go between the Pro,Jr., a 50w. Night Train into a 1x12", and a .50 caliber combo.

But yeah, the more esoteric stuff for parts and overdubs.

Last night - because of this thread -I was recording with a Hafler T2 pre into a Microcab ver.1 into a Summit tube pre. It sounds ...OK ... but just not quite there.

I feel like I wasted 4 hours on 5 songs, but I'm gonna try re-mixing later today, after daughter goes to work (she just went back last week after covid) ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:54 am

I've been into collecting vintage amps for a while now, and I'm fortunate enough to have managed to snag some great deals over the past 15 years.

1955 Fender 5D6-A Bassman (all original transformers, non-original speakers)
1950s Magnasync Moviola Squawk Box (obviously modified)
1964 Silvertone 1482 (all original)
1965 Fender Vibro-Champ (non-original faceplate, Weber speaker)
1965 Fender AA864 Bassman (all original, pre-CBS circuit)
1969/70 Alamo Jet (all origional, currently non-functioning)
1970s Guyatone Lafayette 1x10 guitar amp
1973 Gibson G50 Solid State (really quirky old Gibson SS with killer reverb. Takes pedals well)
1972 Ampeg B25B Head/Cab (what a beast!!! All original. Excellent studio bass amp, incredible guitar head))
1974 Fender Deluxe Reverb (all original, speaker recently switched from original Utah to a Red, White, & Blues)
1977 Fender Super Reverb (heavily modified to pre-CBS black-panel specs, 45-watt version with the tube rectifier)
1980s Peavey Renown (Solid State)
1988 Roland JC120 (all original)
1995 USA-made Fender Blues Junior (heavily modified using Fromel and Bill M mods, now with foot switchable reverb)
2017 Quilter Tone Block 200 (back up amp for live shows)
Last edited by Jeff White on Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:44 pm

I have 3. All are 2x10” combos. AC10, Vibrolux Reverb and Brownface Super. It’s too many or not enough, depending on the day. I mean, I could do all I need with any 1 of those fine amps, but I just friggin’ love gear in general and guitar amps in particular. :)
dehumidified

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:19 am

"Amps and axes make me happy" is my thought.

I may hafta write that song. :twisted:

(I like pedals and mic's, too.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Got a Swart Antares, a big amp (22 watts) with great tone. Been playing it obsessively for a couple days. Sounds very, very good.

Tweed Princeton is on it way to NJ, Princeton Reverb is still for sale and will probably cover the rest of the cost of the new amp.

So my four flavors are:
Fender clean -- Showman combo
Distorto -- 18 watt Marshall Clone
Everything else -- Swart Antares
Hi-gain: Hudosonics 1-watt

Hopefully this will do.

The Antares is very, very fun. Princecton Reverb has a spectacular sound, but the Swart has a lot more grit, funk, and weirdness, which I think will work for me.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by standup on Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:46 am

I've been pining for a Pro Jr. for a long time now. I used to have regular access to one, and with all honesty, it's the only Fender amp I've ever loved. Other people can get Princetons, etc. to sound great, but not me. That Pro Jr. though. I think it's the EL84's.

I see now there are II, III & IV versions... assuming the original is the one to get. Anyone have any idea?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:32 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:46 am
I've been pining for a Pro Jr. for a long time now. I used to have regular access to one, and with all honesty, it's the only Fender amp I've ever loved.
As a long time Blues Jr. owner I have to wonder what I'm missing given the similarities. I suspect the difference is in the tone stack, but the only way for me to truly know is to put the two of them next to each other and see.

I think after this year's Dr. Z Jetta purchase, I'm not allowed to buy amps for another year or two.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:45 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:46 am
I've been pining for a Pro Jr. for a long time now. I used to have regular access to one, and with all honesty, it's the only Fender amp I've ever loved. Other people can get Princetons, etc. to sound great, but not me. That Pro Jr. though. I think it's the EL84's.

I see now there are II, III & IV versions... assuming the original is the one to get. Anyone have any idea?
All versions are good. I have 4 of the originals.
The last 2 versions comeswith a good speakers out of the box and some minor grounding stuff has been improved.