Acoustic Space Simulator Reverb Plugins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Acoustic Space Simulator Reverb Plugins

Post by Mustang Martigan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:44 pm

I've been looking at alot of different Reverbs for my next plugin and feel kind of overwhelmed at the endless choices.

Just when I thought I had narrowed it down, I read about Reverbs that model an Acoustic Space, like UAD Oceanway and Eventide TVerb.

Not only would this style be the perfect compliment to what I already have, but it seems like exactly what my recordings need since everything but the vocals are being tracked DI or MIDI.

Are there any other Acoustic Space plugins worth checking out besides the two I mentioned?
Which one do y'all like best?

Thanks.

losthighway
resurrected

Re: Acoustic Space Simulator Reverb Plugins

Post by losthighway » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:37 am

Doesn't Bricasti do a plugin?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:40 am

I don't know if it's technically correct, but I would think anything that accepts IR's (impulse response) could be considered as an "acoustic space simulator". I have Waves IR convolution reverb but I almost never use it. Altiverb is probably the mack daddy of convolution verbs. there are lots of others.

I do have the UAD Ocean Way plugin. I have used it with 100% midi tunes and also with real instrument tracks. You can add a little bit of everything so that it bleeds together in one "room" and then add a little of that in the mix. Of course, if you want room reverb, it's good for that too.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:05 am

Echoing digitaldrummer (pun intended), you'll probably want to check out convolution reverbs if you're interested in "real" spaces. There's got to be a free one out there, and lots of people have made their own impulse responses available for the community!

Also, another cool one is Waves Abbey Road Chambers. It's technically a real space, but you can also get some crazy sounds out of it if you want.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:36 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:40 am
I don't know if it's technically correct, but I would think anything that accepts IR's (impulse response) could be considered as an "acoustic space simulator". I have Waves IR convolution reverb but I almost never use it.
I have the same on and use it all the time. I'm sure others are just as good/better. It's the only in the box reverb I use. There are lots of decent spaces in the accompanying library but the real trick is rolling your own IRs.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:44 pm

Check out the FREE U-he Protoverb https://u-he.com/products/protoverb/.

John reviewed it in the magazine a while ago. Instead of staying to simulate the reflections from hard surfaces, it attempts to simulate the changes in air pressure. I used it a lot on a record I mixed that the artist recorded in a very modest home studio.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:26 pm

I would recommend an IR reverb.

Some DAWs have them like Logic Pro has Space Designer.

Otherwise, get the Waves one. Really simple to use, has EQ and in out level controls as well as wet/dry, and it can directly use WAV files of impulses, instead of any proprietary stuff.

I am sure there will be others here with suggestions.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:43 pm

In addition to what everyone else has said about convolution reverbs, Seventh Heaven (which is a Bricasti M7 Simulation) is brilliant. It's ultra simple to use, sounds fantastic and isn't too pricey.

https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/seventh-heaven/
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:53 am

I recently picked up the UAD Capitol Chambers (another room simulation) and it's pretty cool too but uses a lot of DSP and is kind of slow to tweak - every time you change a parameter it has to "think" (i.e., the door is open - if you have it you'll understand...). But sounds really nice.
Mike

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:01 pm

Valhalla Room is really good. I have a hard time with the Ocean Way plugin. I've made it work a couple times, but usually I think it sounds weird.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Mustang Martigan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:01 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:53 am
I recently picked up the UAD Capitol Chambers (another room simulation) and it's pretty cool too but uses a lot of DSP and is kind of slow to tweak - every time you change a parameter it has to "think" (i.e., the door is open - if you have it you'll understand...). But sounds really nice.
Ya, I've read good things about it, but it's UAD's Cookie Monster, and I only have a Duo. That's why I didn't mention it.

I finally got some free time tomorrow to demo Ocean Way, and a few other, non Acoustic Sim Reverbs. I agree with the post that doesn't consider straight IR Reverbs to be Sims...maybe emulators is more accurate.

For an ideal situation, do Ocean Ways and Capitol Chambers want to have separate instances for each source when simulating a space for the overall mix? I could probably use 3, along with what my usuals, before i max out the DSP.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:51 am

For the UAD Ocean Way plugin I always use it on an Aux bus. it is also fairly "heavy" when it comes to DSP usage. and I'm typically sending multiple tracks to it to get the "in the room together" ambience sound to add to a mix. I don't use it as a straight up reverb as much, but even then I use it on an Aux.
Mike

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:07 am

I almost always do all ambiance on an aux.

For clarification UA's Capitol Chambers is not a room simulator.
It's a simulation of a sound fed to speakers, captured by microphones in specific chambers.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:51 am

I remember having to go to Capitol, to send stuff through their chambers.

And them telling me "we will NEVER allow anyone to do IRs of our sacred chambers."

They had some dude watching me the entire time I was there, to ensure I did not send any IR impulse type
shit into them.

So much for that "never say never".

At some point I'll have to buy it, on sale. For when it is needed. And, well, not go to Capitol. Sad.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:29 pm

I open the doors and pump things through the PA when the bands around us are done, mics down 3 sides of the concrete and sheetrock hallway. 40",60',90' feet long.14' ceilings.Every couple years,I go to mom's home town(5 miles from canada,7 from north dakota),and use a grain silo. Great for harmonic,not good for percussion.I tried the convulution,I ended up convoluted. Too Phasey.
I am the Walnut