How many guitar amps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: How many guitar amps?

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:43 am

hopefully Fender has fixed their soldering too. Everyone I know that has a Blues Junior has had problems so I wouldn't be surprised if it affected the Pro Jr too. always required re-flowing the tube sockets and sometimes the ribbon cables on the Blues Jr. Mine never even left the studio and still went bad after a couple years of use. drove me crazy swapping tubes and then finally figured out the tubes were not the problem...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:10 pm

Mine is a USA ver. 1 in tweed. I was in banjo mart a week after I got married in '96* and was buying a Gibson American (sorta a LP,Jr. with horns and a simple whammy). They had two left from some special sale (I think the guitars were made for GC) and I checked it out through that amp, loved 'em both and bought 'em, I wanna say US$250 for the amp and US$350 for the guitar.

I put some kinda decent Jensen in it and went through it tying off the minimal wiring; I mighta done a re-flow or two, nowya mention it. I recall I had to shorten a chassis screw which was another issue they are notorious for. I also put a sweet old RCA 12AU7 in it; it started out with the usual 12AX7.

That's a mod I highly reco if you use pedals BTW. The AU is a lower gain tube and seemed to make the clean a little cleaner/sparkly and gives ya higher headroom; I use pedals so I want that, as I can get good sounds from my boost and dirt pedals.

Here they is, in situ:

Also in the pic are a Senn MD21 and a PV 520n (there's a SM7B behind the guitar, what stand left that funny circle in the carpet).

*got rid of her, kept the axe and amp.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Dr Tony Balls
audio school

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:56 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:46 am
I've been pining for a Pro Jr. for a long time now. I used to have regular access to one, and with all honesty, it's the only Fender amp I've ever loved. Other people can get Princetons, etc. to sound great, but not me. That Pro Jr. though. I think it's the EL84's.

I see now there are II, III & IV versions... assuming the original is the one to get. Anyone have any idea?
I built a "premium version" for a friend a few years ago, the main goal being upping reliability and minimizing noise. I also added a separate EF86 boosted input for some higher gain sounds.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:04 pm

Whoa, the Dr. showed up!

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:29 am

i have quite a few for my small studio. since i do mostly punk/metal/hardcore, my options are mostly high gain:

Fryette Deliverance 60
Peavey 5150
Yamaha T50 (modded)
Orange Tiny Terror
Sovtek Mig60
Ampeg V4

been wanting a Fender or Vox of some kind, but considering how infrequently folks don't use their own amps, it isn't exactly a high priority.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:52 am

The Vox ac30 cc2 (mine has the blue speakers) are surprisingly versatile and affordable. Can do the clean chimey thing,can do the Search And Destroy/Stooges thing,and because of the class A /el84 thing,does wonderful things when hammered with pedals. Easy to push into harmonic kookoodom.

Jcm800 1x12" 50 watt combo -super versatile,I've got it going through an Ampeg v4 cab with 2 Celestion g12h's,2 Celestion Creambacks.

Tryin to get another Gibson Hawk (My first amp). The wood paneled one. Coolest feature- You could turn the volume all the way down,reverb or tremolo all the way up,and just play through those. Another el-84 amp.

Something magic about El84's,and the innate compression.
I am the Walnut

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:21 pm

I have to agree. After years and years of 6l6 or 6v6 it was a revelation for me when I finally played an el84 amp. My ears were so happy!
dehumidified

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:21 pm

Zacharia Matilda wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:21 pm
I have to agree. After years and years of 6l6 or 6v6 it was a revelation for me when I finally played an el84 amp. My ears were so happy!
I've found a new appreciation for the 7591. It's like the other dark meat.

I agree on EL84s though. Lots of great amps with those.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:28 am

I'm down to 2... my Henriksen Bud and Quilter Steelaire. Both plenty loud, take pedals really well, and don't take up much real estate. As much as I loved my Sovtek MIG60 and bassman cabs, it was too much and sold it this past year. Since I do more soundtracky stuff, I can't really use the buzzy wonky amps (to reference the early post here, I've gone through several Pro Juniors/Blues Deluxe, all had bad tube/chassis ringing).

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:28 pm

My C19 project collaborator uses a Quilter amp with his vintage jazz boxes and 335 - sounds great, totally quiet.

But ...

... kinda the opposite of what I usually go for. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.