47 FET style mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

47 FET style mics

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:14 pm

admittedly, i've never used one, but I imagine my U195 with the "fat" switch engaged might be somewhat in the ballpark. am I wrong? I am curious what other mics might get me this kind of vibe and possibly do a better job for not a whole lot more dough? much as I might want a Wunder or reissue, those caliber are a bit out of my price range. lots of options out there sub $1300 or so. I assume the Warm stuff isn't that impressive. what about Lawson, Soyuz, Mojave, Miktek, Lauten, ADK or even Microphone Parts options?

I am thinking for use for vocals (lots of screamers); reso kick, front of kit, or even guitar cabs. not opposed to tube mics, but would have to be one that can take lots of level

Dok
pluggin' in mics

Re: 47 FET style mics

Post by Dok » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:41 pm

This one is $800 and gets pretty favorable reviews. http://www.unitedstudiotech.com/. No personal experience with it, though.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:23 am

do you have a Shure SM7B? that one can handle the vocals for sure. For outside kick I've been using an SE x1D (which is unfortunately no longer available). Handles a lot of SPL and really sounds good on the kick.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:04 am

I do have an SM7B. I use it frequently for screamers and sometimes for guitar cabs. Tried on kick here and there but was always kinda meh on it in that regard.

I also have X1Ds (got 3 when they were blowing them out) and while I like them on bottom Tom mics - they complement my MK012 or ATM450 on the top quite well - I feel they’re a little plasticy sounding on their own so that has made me hesitant to try them on other things. I do think I’ve tried them on kick reso, but the U195 absolutely crushes it there.

Curious about those United mics. Have seen ads but little else. Some googling is in order.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:20 am

I've also been using an X1D on an 18" floor tom (top mic) recently and it is HUGE sounding. If the U195 is working on the kick, why not stick with it? but yeah, those FET 47's look cool (and they have done a pretty good job marketing them - or their manufacturing is slow - as they seem to sell out a lot). Haven't used one in person yet either though.
Mojave makes great mics, but I have the Ma200 and Ma201 and neither have a pad, so bass drum usage was not ideal. The ma300 or Ma301 should work nicely though.
Mike

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:32 am

If you’re handy with a soldering iron you can build one of Dany Bouchard’s clones. I’m in the process of finishing mine up now, just waiting on the transformer (which arrived today). Vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:54 am

My Mojave 301fet has been a winner on outside of kick. Rules on bass amps. Is often good on guitar amps and can be the ticket on particular voices. Oh yeah, and it did a great job on trombone too. It's brightish, and not particularly rich (compared to some of the tube condensers I have), but it manages to avoid being harsh or thin. Pretty useful mic, I've been meaning to get a second one for a while.

The 201fet likely has similar performance at a lower price if you don't care about having switchable polar patterns.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:34 am

I have the 201fet and agree it's great - the one thing I miss vs the 301fet is the -10dB pad - and I found without it, in front of a kick can get distorted a bit. I also love it on acoustic guitar. I will us it alone or if I want a stereo spread, then I'll use it with the ma101fet (SDC that they no longer make). sounds really nice.
Mike

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:10 am

The Lawson is really good. I'm actually remixing a record right now where I had used it on the bass drum and it's perfect. Very effortless in the mix. Great vocal mic too.

The Advanced Audio FET47 is pretty good too, and very inexpensive. I kinda think the build quality isn't all that great, but they sound pretty good. I've never gotten the "ooooooo" feeling from them like the times I've used a Neumann or the lawson though.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:46 pm

There are certainly A LOT of them out now that I haven't heard, but I have a Lawson and that's the closest thing I've heard yet to an actual FET 47, which is a mic I love, by the way. The 195 is pretty good, but maybe a hair more aggressive -sounding to my ears than a real FET 47.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC