Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:36 pm

1920-30's S. S. Stewart tenor banjo. $20 on Craigslist. Needs a head, bridge, a few lugs and new tuners. I also have to re-glue the nut.

Currently looks like this -

Hopefully more like this when I'm done -

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm

New speakers for my Wurlitzer 200. As you may be aware, the original 4x8 oval speakers are kind of pricey, you can get them from Vintage Vibe but it's $169 for the pair. Too much for an instrument that I don't play professionally and only record direct!

However, I was idly browsing the clearance pages over at Parts Express (as one does, you know) and noticed they had some interesting choices in speakers for flat panel TVs, things that might be 7-8" long but only an inch wide. And going for only a buck each. So I bought some that looked promising, fooled around with some scrap plywood, and ended up being able to fit pairs of them in place the originals. There's a bit of an impedance mismatch, 4 ohms total instead of 8, but the amp seems fine with that.
Wurlie 200 drivers small.jpg
Alternative cheapskate Wurlitzer 200 speakers
Wurlie 200 drivers small.jpg (167.92 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:49 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm
There's a bit of an impedance mismatch, 4 ohms total instead of 8, but the amp seems fine with that.
I'd consult a tech on that. In my experience you can mismatch for more resistance and be okay (just quieter/less efficient), but with less resistance it takes a toll somewhere down the line.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:21 pm

losthighway wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:49 pm
Scodiddly wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm
There's a bit of an impedance mismatch, 4 ohms total instead of 8, but the amp seems fine with that.
I'd consult a tech on that. In my experience you can mismatch for more resistance and be okay (just quieter/less efficient), but with less resistance it takes a toll somewhere down the line.
I'll be sure to ask myself the next time I've got the soldering iron heated up. :lol:

It should be fine, and if it isn't I'll fix it. Something I *would* consider buying is the modern replacement amp from Vintage Vibe.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:37 pm

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:12 pm

I don't like Behringer's business model, nor welcome calls from Sweetwater sales, but they're selling pedals for $19 and free shipping at the moment. Ordered a Super Fuzz, if it is ever in stock, and sounds close enough, I'll have a reason to sell my Univox.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:11 pm

Was thinking about getting a cymbal stand mounting sleeve, but will make one .. its on the list of to-do things today.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 am

I just installed my Jim Williams audioupgrades.com PIP circuits for the Toft ATB-16. These are small daughter-card preamp modules (they look similar to an API 2520 Op Amp, in format) that go in where the 8pin THAT technology IC preamp would normally mount.

I haven't put the 4 new channels of the Toft through their paces yet, but I've brought up a mic and done a side by side recording comparison with spoken dialog... so far, it's cleaner in the highs and less muddled in the low-mids.

Posting pics of the mod, just in case anyone else does this.

On early versions of the Toft ATB, there aren't these push-buttons on the circuit-board, so those Rev1 consoles can have the the PIP mounted right into the socket where the IC was removed. But on later versions of the Toft... you'll need to use push-in sockets to act as risers for the cards (to clear the plastic shell of that push-button.

Now, here's the bummer... if you have a later Revision Toft ATB... the first channel's circuit board is sooooo close to the the side-panel that a double-riser'd PIP circuit would push against the wood, and won't sit flush in the sockets. oddly enough, there is a rectangular cut-out in the metal frame — very fortunate, because I was able to use it to draw a line on the wood, and then notch-out the wood by 3/8" to accommodate the circuit.

This helped make the circuit fit more comfortably.

...In the end, I did 4 channels to see if the PIP circuit makes enough difference, preamp-wise, to re-excite me about using this console for future projects. Over the last couple of years, I've been trying to up my game, and this console (while very good) is getting left behind by some other equipment... but maybe I can get it to carry more weight with these mods. Sadly... the reason that I had the time to do this is related to why I won't have much material to run through it (thanks!, pandemic.). Hopefully, I'll get a chance to put these channels through their paces, later this summer... and if they rock harder than the stock channels, then I'll probably buy 12 more PIPs.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:34 am

alexdingley wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 am
I just installed my Jim Williams audioupgrades.com PIP circuits for the Toft ATB-16.

I haven't put the 4 new channels of the Toft through their paces yet, but I've brought up a mic and done a side by side recording comparison with spoken dialog... so far, it's cleaner in the highs and less muddled in the low-mids.
Glad it made a well discernable difference. That was awesome!

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:45 am

After close to a decade of scoping the usual used gear avenues, I just picked up a lightly used pair of Tannoy System 12 DMT II's.

And it looks like a first gen Bryston 3B just found it's way to me, also.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:55 pm

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm

I just put in an order for my second Coles 4038. They're totally backordered everywhere cause apparently somehow people are still buying stuff like this in our crazy time.

I have very few pairs in my mic locker which is dumb, it's mostly cause I'm impatient and keep wanting to try new things. It took major self control to save my duckets and complete the pair. (Weekend warrior dad points to ribbon mic as evidence of his self control)

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:52 am

A dbx 560A and two Hairball Audio FET 500 kits. And a JHS Pulp N Peel v4 for only $120!

The dbx was great on snare last night.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Stam SA-47. It only took a year and a half to arrive.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:32 am

biasvoltage wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 pm
Stam SA-47. It only took a year and a half to arrive.
interested to hear what you think about it (after you get some time with it of course)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com