Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 pm

losthighway wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:27 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:37 am
Just put a down payment on a pair of 4038's.

I want to go to sleep until they arrive.
I was an optimistic skeptic when I felt like I spent a kidney on my first one. Then in the months that followed I realized that I must have two and sold the other kidney.

But 300 bucks for the blumlein bar. Ridiculous. I'll get it some day.
I've wanted some for so long. I decided to finally sell some outboard that wasn't inspiring me or giving me anything I can't get ITB so I could get a pair. Some friends and I are working on a new studio space and I realized that my mic collection just isn't at a level I would like it to be after having spent the last few years freelancing in other places with much nicer collections.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:11 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 pm

I've wanted some for so long. I decided to finally sell some outboard that wasn't inspiring me or giving me anything I can't get ITB so I could get a pair. Some friends and I are working on a new studio space and I realized that my mic collection just isn't at a level I would like it to be after having spent the last few years freelancing in other places with much nicer collections.
Those people who say they could use it on almost anything are right. I was so scared of looking at it wrong and hurting it the first couple months I was using it that I kept it on a tall stand for drum overheads where it predictably ruled.

Then I finally put it next to an LDC to blend for vocals- awesome.
2-3 feet from a combo amp- amazing. Only mic needed.
Pointed towards the body of an acoustic, with a condenser at the neck- also amazing.

It's really good at being the 'meat' of the sound in conjunction with another brighter mic for the definition.

In fact I have a song coming out soon that has the Coles as part of every instrument except the bass guitar (still scared, though I just saw a photo from one of J Robbins sessions with a Fat Head right up on the bass amp).

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:09 pm

TC Electronics Spark Booster: this is the 4 knob one, and it is awesome. I would have bought it years ago, except I resist TC because of the computer program part and Behringer connection – which do not apply to this pedal.

It really is good, lots of EQ control, 3 voice switches, 20+ dB boost, small footprint. It’s gonna compete with the Bass Soul Food for 2nd pedal on my live bass board (after the compressor, which also boosts), and if not there may well wind up as first pedal on the live guitar board – it seems that good.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:10 pm

losthighway wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:27 am
But 300 bucks for the blumlein bar. Ridiculous. I'll get it some day.
:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:31 pm

A set of electronic drums.

Roland TD-1DMK, pretty much their basic set.

I have samples... ;)
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:58 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:15 pm
Anyone know what J. Robert Lennon aka inverseroom is up to these days? (Recent events notwithstanding..)
This news is a decade old, but new to me: I decided, out of boredom to start watching a detective show called Unforgettable, which ran from 2011-2016. I'm watching the credits roll by as the first episode starts, and I see "Based on a Short Story by John Robert Lennon." I figure it's gotta be inverseroom, and sure enough, it is. Pretty damn cool if you ask me--even if I'm ten years late in finding it out.

Of course, if you really want the scoop on inverseroom, you can always go to his wikipedia page. Lots more info there.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:33 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:58 pm
shedshrine wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:15 pm
Anyone know what J. Robert Lennon aka inverseroom is up to these days? (Recent events notwithstanding..)
This news is a decade old, but new to me: I decided, out of boredom to start watching a detective show called Unforgettable, which ran from 2011-2016. I'm watching the credits roll by as the first episode starts, and I see "Based on a Short Story by John Robert Lennon." I figure it's gotta be inverseroom, and sure enough, it is. Pretty damn cool if you ask me--even if I'm ten years late in finding it out.

Of course, if you really want the scoop on inverseroom, you can always go to his wikipedia page. Lots more info there.
Yeah, his day job is writing. Even found one of his novels in my local library.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:31 pm

From February of this year,
An interview with J. Robert Lennon aka "inverseroom"
Interview starts at 6:25

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:51 pm

Waves f6 dynamic eq.

I know I was recently making fun of Waves, but on sale for 35 bucks, and big guy's first dynamic eq, I figured why not?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:32 pm

Not new gear per say but I hacked an insert jack into the feed between my Farfisa vip 200 and it's built in amp/speaker box. Now I can run pedals through the internal amp. Currently running it through the filter of a hacked monotron. Tons of fun.

This isn't mine, just an internet pic. Mine is the same minus the drum machine. I don't have the original pedals either (which is a drag).

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:36 pm

^ That thing is darn cool looking. Like, so cool I'd dress up to play it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:32 pm

Years ago I repaired a rhythm-macheenless one of those - I think it was like the jack and the switch, that kinda stuff. What a fun keyboard, I get that sound (more or less) with a Reface.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:56 pm

It was a ridiculous $100 craigslist deal from five or six years ago. The amp was DOA when I got it and the owner thought the whole thing was dead. Turns out the keyboard was fine with an external amp. I finally got the amp fixed this year. I love it. All keyboards should be avocado green. Our fridge and stove were the same colour when I was a kid.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:46 am

vvv wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:32 pm
Years ago I repaired a rhythm-macheenless one of those - I think it was like the jack and the switch, that kinda stuff. What a fun keyboard, I get that sound (more or less) with a Reface.
There was a couple years around 2000 when I was fixing a bunch of those Farfisa and Vox things because they'd become popular in the local rock scene. My favorite was a Rheem organ - the *inside* had nicely finished wood and cool looking circuit boards.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:04 am

So I did that Farsifa for the room mate of a bandmate, got to mess with it only then.

But some years later a guy gave me a broken Rhodes 77 Suitcase. The amp was fine, but the tines were all corroded, some pups bad, some wood warped on the hammers, pads missing ...

Story was, he lifted it in in the late 70's from a Rolling Stones concert. If that was true, it mighta even been in The Blues Bros.

In the event, I took a few months and got a cuppla replacement parts and repaired it with naval jelly, hand soldering, planing, wood glue, wax, Armour All, and a early Sabine digital tuner - this was about 2000. It was cool to patch FX into and pretend to be Fagen.

I haddit in my little ranch house living room for a cuppla years but it was so big and the then-girlfriend hated it ...

I traded it back to the guy for my daughter's bedroom set when I moved, and his daughter left for college.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.