monitor stands

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

monitor stands

Post by standup » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:39 pm

I've been using a stack of cinderblocks. They're massive, and the transmit no vibration.

But they're ugly, and I'm putting in a new desk, and I'm thinking... hm. Monitor stands that were maybe 8"x8" or 9"x9" would actually "look" a lot better.

I need something that either is or can be adjusted to 37.75" height.

And I don't want to fill something with sand because that sounds like a pain, and I'd want to do the sand filling outside, and then they'd weigh 85 lbs each, and then if I ever have to move them again that's also a pain.

Anyway.

What do y'all like that does the job?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: monitor stands

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:44 pm

My woodworker brother made me some custom ones. They are indeed filled with sand. It's not really a pain, and while they're heavy AF I can move them myself, and I'm a weakling.

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:56 pm

Can all the mass be in the base? Or would a lighter (hollow) portion between base and speaker pose problems?

I’m thinking about whether a concrete pill from a hardware store could be used to anchor a stand built of boxed plywood or some other wood.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:14 pm

They make bricks and pavers in a height that might get me to 37.75.

If I stand cinderblocks end to end they're only 8x8, then I'd need 2 bricks 2.875" high to reach my desired height. So far my cinder stacks have been 8x16. Maybe then throw some fabric over them. I'm sure I'll try to work this out before buying anything or having anything built.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:23 pm

A couple years ago I followed a fellow tapeopper's recipe and built my stands to custom height using PVC, wood, black paint, and sand. They look nice, they're heavy and they don't resonate. The search might reveal the basic plan if you're interested, I'd also be happy to see if I could turn it up.

You could really do it without the plan, the key is finding the plastic pieces that the PVC mounts on that you can screw into the wood. There's certainly a name for these, but I'm no plumber. It took a lot of looking around at Lowes.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Before you buy anything, consider just draping or wrapping them with some nice fabric. Looks nice and no one will ever know! Also maybe add a pad of some sort between the blocks and the speakers.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:43 pm

losthighway wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:23 pm
A couple years ago I followed a fellow tapeopper's recipe and built my stands to custom height using PVC, wood, black paint, and sand. They look nice, they're heavy and they don't resonate. The search might reveal the basic plan if you're interested, I'd also be happy to see if I could turn it up.

You could really do it without the plan, the key is finding the plastic pieces that the PVC mounts on that you can screw into the wood. There's certainly a name for these, but I'm no plumber. It took a lot of looking around at Lowes.
I think you're referring to a "pipe flange".

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:13 pm

I think I'll try to stick with the blocks, they are so solid.

I've got auralex mopads on top to keep the monitors from rattling on the concrete.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:16 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:43 pm
losthighway wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:23 pm

I think you're referring to a "pipe flange".
That would be the common sense, logical name for 'those plastic thingies that go on the pipe'!

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:01 am

I use bricks/patio blocks myself (and a bit of wood to get just the right height). I just spray painted it all flat-black and it doesn't look horrible.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:59 am

I need to make some speaker stands for our living room and was just going to do the pvc/wood/black paint thing. Is there any reason I can't just liquid nails the wood to the pvc?

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:24 am

I did that once and I used both PVC flanges (toilet flanges) and liquid nails. worked great. but as long as the pipe was cut straight, liquid nails would likely be enough to hold it, especially if you put a second "coat" around the edges after the first coat dried.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 am

There are several flavors of liquid nails, F-26, and similar construction adhesives. Several of them say right on the tube, "not for use with pvc". I'm not sure if the issue is that the pvc isn't porous enough to bond, or if the adhesive will melt it too much - which is how pvc glue works, btw, but in a controlled fashion.
Toilet flanges will typically fit both 3" and 4" pvc, and can be found in types that are meant to screw directly to a wooden subfloor. You can also buy metal reinforcement rings for these flanges. I bet you could make a pretty sturdy assembly by using 2-3 layers of plywood with a toilet flange sandwiched in between, fitting a length of pipe over the flange, and another plywood/flange sandwich assembly at the other end.
Village Idiot.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:25 pm

floid wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 am
Toilet flanges will typically fit both 3" and 4" pvc, and can be found in types that are meant to screw directly to a wooden subfloor.
Just don't bother to buy the wax ring. I mean there's bound to be some shit coming out of the speakers at some point, but you don't need a proper gasket.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:57 am

losthighway wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:25 pm
Just don't bother to buy the wax ring. I mean there's bound to be some shit coming out of the speakers at some point, but you don't need a proper gasket.
The wax gaskets are only required if you are playing Edison cylinders...

OT: Actually, my son has an Edison phonograph and its a pretty cool machine (and surprisingly loud for an acoustic device).
Last edited by jimjazzdad on Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada