new TO issue

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

new TO issue

Post by Roman Sokal » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:11 pm

...got it in the post a couple days ago- very nice read- especially the andy johns interview, which is a peek into the character and talent that he is...however i wish the thing ran 30+ pages long!!!!!

r

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Re: new TO issue

Post by toothpastefordinner » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:04 pm

Fess up, you paid for the fancy shipping, didn't you? Just to read it first?!

(heh heh, I know you gotta cause you're in canada... it's okay.)

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

denial
pluggin' in mics

Post by denial » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:30 pm

Being from Australia, I've never read a single TO issue and something tells me I'm missing out on something good. It seems that a paid overseas subscription is possible but since it's essentially a free magazine, wouldn't it be great if there was a downloadable PDF version for all to enjoy. It sure would cheaper to distribute.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:42 pm

Eddie Money's "Two tickets to Paradise" is a great Andy Johns recording. You can hear the effects of a vintage console very well on that tune as well as the great balance between instruments stemming from a manual mix.

He's done so much though, where does one begin?

I almost got more excited when I read Roman's post thinking it was an interview with Andy Wallace though...

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:08 am

After having to scrounge a bit when my last issue didn't come, I up and paid for it. I've got a job, I can afford it, and it's worth it. The new issue rocks.

--JES

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:33 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:I almost got more excited when I read Roman's post thinking it was an interview with Andy Wallace though...
He was in it a few years back.

Chris

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:26 pm

denial wrote:Being from Australia, I've never read a single TO issue and something tells me I'm missing out on something good. It seems that a paid overseas subscription is possible but since it's essentially a free magazine, wouldn't it be great if there was a downloadable PDF version for all to enjoy. It sure would cheaper to distribute.
I'm seconding the tea-leaf. :lol:

Gimme PDF!!
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Post by Echos Myron » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:31 pm

Was the issue before this new one the Daniel Lanois/Manitoba/etc... one?
I'm not sure if I didn't receive an issue. Wasn't there talk of one with some synth picture on the cover?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:16 pm

Er. Looking forward to the new issue, but "Two Tickets to Paradise" is a really freaking awful song. Aside from "I need a lover who won't drive me crazy" by John Crouton Mellenhead, it's probably my least favorite classic rock song ever.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:47 am

toothpastefordinner wrote:Fess up, you paid for the fancy shipping, didn't you? Just to read it first?!

(heh heh, I know you gotta cause you're in canada... it's okay.)

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

i'm in canada, but lucky not to have to pay for the high subscription price for us foreigners! i write for the mag, so its a fringe benefit, aye?
which reminds me... i have like 3 interviews to finish...............fjhdghfdjkghjghjvkhsjh!!!!

tenaciousjay
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tenaciousjay » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:26 am

dwlb wrote:Er. Looking forward to the new issue, but "Two Tickets to Paradise" is a really freaking awful song. Aside from "I need a lover who won't drive me crazy" by John Crouton Mellenhead, it's probably my least favorite classic rock song ever.
C'mon, that song (the Cougar one) cracks me up every time I hear it. How many key changes can you put in a song? How many just in an intro?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:06 pm

tenaciousJay wrote:
dwlb wrote:Er. Looking forward to the new issue, but "Two Tickets to Paradise" is a really freaking awful song. Aside from "I need a lover who won't drive me crazy" by John Crouton Mellenhead, it's probably my least favorite classic rock song ever.
C'mon, that song (the Cougar one) cracks me up every time I hear it. How many key changes can you put in a song? How many just in an intro?
Perhaps that's why I can't stand it...why is the intro so goddam long?!? Was it the opener for their shows, the band onstage vamping until JOHNNY COUGAR! makes his entrance, resplendent in James Brown cape and aw-shucks-I'm-from-Indiana coveralls? Jee--zuss.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:13 pm

hey man, are you joe or chris?

dave

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:26 pm

dwlb wrote:
tenaciousJay wrote:
Perhaps that's why I can't stand it...why is the intro so goddam long?!? Was it the opener for their shows, the band onstage vamping until JOHNNY COUGAR! makes his entrance, resplendent in James Brown cape and aw-shucks-I'm-from-Indiana coveralls? Jee--zuss.
Not only that, but I've heard John Mellencamp is a big asshole to work for, despite his "aw shucks I'm from Indiana" persona.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:29 pm

dwlb wrote:JOHNNY COUGAR! makes his entrance, resplendent in James Brown cape and aw-shucks-I'm-from-Indiana coveralls? Jee--zuss.
Awesome.

Chris