Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:40 pm

a nice eBay win for $20 shipped...
atty.jpg
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:12 pm

A nifty new pair of column speakers. Not sure where I'm going to use them, though.
Column speakers 2021 small.JPG
Column speakers 2021 small.JPG (212.08 KiB) Viewed 3143 times

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:25 pm

Totally OT but Scodiddley, is that roadhouse/restaurant still there offa US 45 that serves breakfast omelets with 6 eggs? The one where the son had some serious legal troubles? I think named something like, "Likem's"?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 pm

I decided to build a DI--somehow that'd never happened before. I had a smallish transformer that came from somewhere, piddled around with it until I got more or less what I wanted. Sounds good on bass, with a little more level than the simple Triad A-11J DI that I mostly use. Installed in the former housing of the Drewtronics Sherlock I built but could never manage to get to work right.
di1.jpg
di1.jpg (122.05 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
DI2.jpg
DI2.jpg (92.28 KiB) Viewed 3131 times

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:37 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:12 pm
That homebrew Wurly pedal is wicked.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:22 am

vvv wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:25 pm
Totally OT but Scodiddley, is that roadhouse/restaurant still there offa US 45 that serves breakfast omelets with 6 eggs? The one where the son had some serious legal troubles? I think named something like, "Likem's"?
No idea - I've only been living in this town about 6 years.

When you said "six eggs" I thought you were talking about the place in Libertyville (one town over) where they automatically double the number of eggs you order - Townee Square restaurant.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:23 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:37 pm
Scodiddly wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:12 pm
That homebrew Wurly pedal is wicked.
Thanks! It's never been as good as a real one, but that's OK because I'm not really a sustain pedal guy anyway.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:16 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 pm
Installed in the former housing of the Drewtronics Sherlock I built but could never manage to get to work right.

di1.jpg

DI2.jpg
I love my Sherlock! Is Drew still doing audio stuff or is he just a famous novelist now?

Roger

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:51 am

Neumann NDH20 headphones, because none of the studios near me have well constructed/isolated control rooms and I'm sick of getting back to my mix room and finding a myriad of issues after sessions. :roll:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:33 pm

so I got this... the "Ivy" or "iyv to be exact... (In-Yen Vietnam). Amazon special. I think it's real spalted maple veneer. Looks great. definitely nothing special underneath. usually you can give a semi-hollow a "thunk" and you hear it echo a bit of tone. this one sounds like slapping dried out roadkill. lol. but whatever, it's a Tele look with humbuckers. Good news is the neck is straight and no sharp frets or string buzz. I changed the strings and did a slight adjustment for intonation. The neck is very flat (not much radius on top) - almost feels like an acoustic and one friend loves that since he plays mostly acoustic.. anyway, how can you go wrong for $138+tax (shipped). oh, and it can play rock and roll. mostly just got it as a backup for in the studio.
iyv.jpg
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:45 pm

and backup #2. or maybe for inspiration. Firefly FF338. Made in China. this one needed a bit more work. sharp fret edges, buzzy A string. but got that taken care of, new strings, and intonation setup and I think it's a winner too (about $225 shipped w/tax). it does have some weird spots on the fretboard and a couple of very minor finish flaws (but mostly it is really good). on the fb, not sure if it is defects they tried to fill, or drips of glue from frets or inlays? they seem to be smooth though - can't really feel them. and $225... 8)
firefly.jpg
firefly.jpg (164.27 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
Mike

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:32 pm

LaBella Flatwounds for Squier Bass 6.
Valley People 400 Channel strip (pre/eq/comp/expander/gate) for overloaded room mic in rehearsal/recording space.
2 NOS EF86's for bandmates' Matchless.
"Fascial gun"/ power massager for neck issues (Working arms above head with power nailer for a week). Blast it loose.
Another Ampeg V4 cabinet. gonna put another pair of Celestion Creambacks on bottom,another pair of G12-30's (NOT VINTAGE 30's) up top.
I am the Walnut

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:05 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:45 pm
and backup #2. or maybe for inspiration. Firefly FF338. Made in China. this one needed a bit more work. sharp fret edges, buzzy A string. but got that taken care of, new strings, and intonation setup and I think it's a winner too (about $225 shipped w/tax). it does have some weird spots on the fretboard and a couple of very minor finish flaws (but mostly it is really good). on the fb, not sure if it is defects they tried to fill, or drips of glue from frets or inlays? they seem to be smooth though - can't really feel them. and $225... 8)
Cool couple of guitars. Are you doing your own fixup work?

I've noticed that the musical gear that's going free/cheap these days is upright pianos. Guess this is a good time to learn how to be a piano technician, because if you've got a van and a couple husky friends you can do all the experimenting you want.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:07 pm

Clearly I have a problem and need to stop with the plywood parlor guitars.

I added a Japanese gold foil for the neck position on the red guitar. It's the same as the pick-up I put in the bridge position of my hacked Bullet Strat from last year. Strangely though, the one in the strat is crazy bright and this one is very dark. I'm not quite done dialing it in (gotta lower the bridge pick-up a hair to balance them a little better) but so far it sounds pretty nice. The middle position sounds really good and that's not something I find myself saying very often.

The pickup, wiring and misc parts and the sunburst guitar on the right all showed up within a few minutes of each other. What a day.

Now I just need a bridge.........
Last edited by A.David.MacKinnon on Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:11 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:05 pm
Guess this is a good time to learn how to be a piano technician, because if you've got a van and a couple husky friends you can do all the experimenting you want.
This puts me in mind of a show here a few years ago. The artist was a piano tech by trade and was performing pieces written for a piano that had been detuned by an octave. It sounded crazy an made me wish I had a spare piano (and room for a spare piano).