Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thepsychedelicdollhouse
takin' a dinner break

best method for cleaning pinch roller?

Post by thepsychedelicdollhouse » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:15 pm

thx for the help.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: best method for cleaning pinch roller?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:19 pm

Mild dish soap and water.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:27 pm

Use a Q-tip - hopefully one that doesn't shed (you can buy foam ones), and rubber cleaner.

Don't use alcohol as it dries the rubber out ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:11 pm

There's rubber cleaner made by, or called Laser Media.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:33 am

pinch roller cleaner for the really gunked up days, but regular isoprpyl (99%) alcohol mostly. Tascam and other manufacturers recommend regular Isopropyl alcohol in all their manuals, i know the message board warriors are all against it, but it's their recommendation and service peoples recommendation as well. never done me wrong.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:28 pm

Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:30 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:33 am
pinch roller cleaner for the really gunked up days, but regular isoprpyl (99%) alcohol mostly. Tascam and other manufacturers recommend regular Isopropyl alcohol in all their manuals, i know the message board warriors are all against it, but it's their recommendation and service peoples recommendation as well. never done me wrong.
Alcohol isn't good for rubber parts.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:14 am

drumsound wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:30 pm
markjazzbassist wrote:
that's a myth. here is something from A guy that works for Studer

That is just another internet perpetuated myth. Pinch rollers are rarely made of rubber, especially not the ones that go on Studer tape machines. Cleaning them with rubber cleaner is worse than cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol which incidentally, will not hurt them. It is exposure to oxygen that causes to the pinch roller to decompose, not someone's improper cleaning. Studer suggests cleaning the pinch roller with water. I use water and/or diluted Formula 409 and rinse later. Cleaning too much won't really hurt the pinch roller but it does make it so sticky that it adheres a bit to the tape and makes quite a clatter until it dirties up a bit. Clean on with your bad self.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:08 pm

Even if I had a Studer, I'd still use distilled water and friction, or rubber cleaner*.

And whether or not same is dangerous for rubber (perhaps not, but see **), it is not good for the surrounding plastic, and IMO may affect any lubrication it happens to contact

Pretty interesting discussion here where Windex is reco'd, but not (surprise!) WD40 :twisted: : https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index ... ic=10985.0

* Examples: https://www.vintage-electronics.net/too ... aners.aspx ; https://www.amazon.com/Audio-456-THPR-2 ... 00JDG86OE/

** "Rubber - most rubbers are probably resistant to alcohols, but prolonged exposure will cause loss of elasticity." https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/que ... -or-rubber
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:16 pm

Yeah, I've got a pretty old Studer, I'm gonna keep using rubber cleaner.

thepsychedelicdollhouse
takin' a dinner break

Post by thepsychedelicdollhouse » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:01 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:28 pm
We use this: https://www.athan.com/store/p45/Cleanin ... ucts_.html
thanks. just ordered.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:58 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:14 am
drumsound wrote:
markjazzbassist wrote:

That is just another internet perpetuated myth. Pinch rollers are rarely made of rubber, especially not the ones that go on Studer tape machines. Cleaning them with rubber cleaner is worse than cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol which incidentally, will not hurt them. It is exposure to oxygen that causes to the pinch roller to decompose, not someone's improper cleaning. Studer suggests cleaning the pinch roller with water. I use water and/or diluted Formula 409 and rinse later. Cleaning too much won't really hurt the pinch roller but it does make it so sticky that it adheres a bit to the tape and makes quite a clatter until it dirties up a bit. Clean on with your bad self.
So the Studer guy, says it's a myth, and then proceeds to tell you what he uses, which is NOT alcohol. LOL, I can't....
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:34 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:58 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
drumsound wrote:

So the Studer guy, says it's a myth, and then proceeds to tell you what he uses, which is NOT alcohol. LOL, I can't....
Mark's "leathur" pants are on too tight.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:51 pm

I just wanna say I'm disappointed nobuddy thought the WD40 thing was funny.

Or at least, slick.

:high:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:13 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:58 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
drumsound wrote:

the poster said "alcohol isn't good for rubber parts", i then directly quoted a Studer Technical Services Employee stating that isopropyl alcohol will not hurt pinch rollers. im not sure how that got lost in translation but it seemed pretty straightforward to me.