Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:33 am

just pulled the trigger on a Chandler Limited TG Type L microphone. Looks very interesting even though it's a FET mic (will be a few days before I get it but I'll report back).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:04 am

My friends and I play a rag-tag live show every year or so... and we got tired of ganging-together 2 small mixers with a powered pa-head/mixer, so I went ahead and bought a used Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer... and damn! this is maybe the quietest mixer I've ever used. And the flexibility of the aux routing + the ability to fully disengage the EQ is really nice. Also, the direct outs on 2 d-subs is solid.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:33 am

alexdingley wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:04 am
My friends and I play a rag-tag live show every year or so... and we got tired of ganging-together 2 small mixers with a powered pa-head/mixer, so I went ahead and bought a used Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer... and damn! this is maybe the quietest mixer I've ever used. And the flexibility of the aux routing + the ability to fully disengage the EQ is really nice. Also, the direct outs on 2 d-subs is solid.
One of my clients has the old FireWire enabled version. I agree with all of your points. I've used theirs a bunch for demos, live shows/recording and other odds and ends. Huge bang for the buck and super cheap used.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:40 am

The Onyx series really was underrated - we've had people* request them for live recording, just using the inputs to feet those DSub outputs.

Parts are getting maybe a little hard to find, they used these weird SIP (single inline package) op-amps in a few spots and those occasionally burn out.

*real professional people, no less.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:50 pm

Mackie 4 channel cans mixer
cheap Tascam cans
Klark-Technic LA-2 thingie

and I gotta new guitar amp coming
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:37 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:50 pm
Klark-Technic LA-2 thingie
You should share your impressions after putting it through its paces.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:20 pm

I shall - I used it yesterday on one track with a dynamic (SE V7) after a Eureka - sounded good but that was just one lead vocal and a cuppla BV's.

I just did a instinctive setting, and it sounded great, but I need to "put it thru its paces".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:28 pm

CMC Superfuzz - so this guy makes clones with mods, sells on the R-verb. This one gives the choice of GE or SI - sounds great, as does the mids-adjustable Green Russian Muff I bought a few weeks ago,

Fuzzrocious Cat Tail: this is a modded Rat clone, and this one has extra EQ, distortion and a boost. It's got all the good Rat stuff, without the fizz.

Fender Bassbreaker 15: I so love my 007, I wanted a louder one to use at jams. Got a good price - these are relatively expensive (couldn't justify the 18/35 or the 40w., both going over US$1k). It does a good basic Fender clean, but not quite as nice on top as my HRDX or ProJr. But from crunch on up, it's pretty amazing. Has digi-verb what is OK, but 3 gain voicings that are exceptionally cool, lotsa gain and EQ control. And a treble-booster button.
Attachments
CMCSuperfuzz-FuzzrociousCattail-Bassbrkr15 sm.jpg
CMCSuperfuzz-FuzzrociousCattail-Bassbrkr15 sm.jpg (96.1 KiB) Viewed 12056 times
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Rob Coates
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Rob Coates » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:14 am

Peavey Tube Sweetener. Didn't know what to expect. Some think it's great, some say it really sucks. The one I got last week looks like new old stock. Perfect, like new condition. Built like a tank. Massive power supply providing over 300 volts for the tubes. I put in two NOS Webcor 12AX7s (US made tube from the 60s) and a Military grade Mullard 12AT7. Sounds really good to my ears. It has a low pass filter on each channel that I've read a lot of hate about on line. I think it sounds very good. Just a little of the highs shaved off and it sounds pretty tape like. Was considering a Sonic Farm Creamer or one of their other pieces but with the Peavey, I'm good.
RobCoates

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:12 pm

I've got a Pearlman TM-1 on the way that should arrive tomorrow. Now I'll have a few "better" mics to choose from when recording vocals (no no, not mine... somebody else). looking forward to that.

btw, I used the Type L on a singer/songwriter and it sounded great on vocals (and a little harmonica). Good rejection of the acoustic guitar (used 414's for that). anyway, it's a keeper (for awhile at least).
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:14 am

oh man, the Pearlman TM-1 is nice. I only did a quick vocal check (and it's got color - which is what I wanted). Then I used it (in Omni) as a room mic for a pedal steel session and it is sounding really nice. I've used other mics for room duty but this just really seemed to grab the room. Looking forward to using it a lot more. This one has an EF80 (6BX6) tube and the gray paint job fwiw.
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:34 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:14 am
oh man, the Pearlman TM-1 is nice. I only did a quick vocal check (and it's got color - which is what I wanted). Then I used it (in Omni) as a room mic for a pedal steel session and it is sounding really nice. I've used other mics for room duty but this just really seemed to grab the room. Looking forward to using it a lot more. This one has an EF80 (6BX6) tube and the gray paint job fwiw.
Those have always been desirable. Any idea what the difference in sound is between the EF80 and the JAN 6CB6? Does the EF80 cost more? I don't really have any "better" mics for vocals. It's either the SM7b, CAD e300, GrooveTubes MD1a, WARM WA-12, or Shure Beta 58! And I've had all those (except the WARM) for over 15 years. Occasionally I'll us the AT4047 on vox.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:59 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:33 am
just pulled the trigger on a Chandler Limited TG Type L microphone. Looks very interesting even though it's a FET mic (will be a few days before I get it but I'll report back).
What's the word on this one? Checking it out, affordable, and the two voicings, seems pretty awesome! Another contender along with the UT Fet47 i've had my eyes on.
btw, I used the Type L on a singer/songwriter and it sounded great on vocals (and a little harmonica). Good rejection of the acoustic guitar (used 414's for that). anyway, it's a keeper (for awhile at least).

Ahh, just now saw this. Keep us updated on this mic please!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:24 pm

I just used it for 2 pedal steel sessions yesterday (same player but for 2 projects) and it was on the amp. I used the "B" setting this time and it went into an A-Designs EM-Gold 500 preamp. It was really nice and pretty smooth (and I usually like a ribbon but this worked well). I rolled off a little low-end (but I do that to most guitars too). the TM-1 was doing room for this same session. The Chandler is new so I'm throwing it in front of a lot of different things to get a feel for what it can do. so far have not been disappointed. It seems a little pricey (for how small it is!) but the 2 settings are useful and it sounds great.
Mike

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:02 pm

Almost bought this at a thrift store today - an official Blue Man Group fun keyboard.
Blue Man Group keyboard.jpg
Blue Man Group keyboard.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 11811 times
Ended up just buying some faux-woodgrain bookends, because that's what I actually need.