New Pro Tools, who dis? "FREEZE"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: New Pro Tools, who dis? "FREEZE"

Post by trodden » Wed May 01, 2024 3:32 pm

I remember when I was shown "Import Session Data" around 2010... Fucking life changing. No more pages and pages of notes for what plugs where!!!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu May 02, 2024 7:05 am

trodden wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:32 pm
I remember when I was shown "Import Session Data" around 2010... Fucking life changing. No more pages and pages of notes for what plugs where!!!
And that was years ago.
I'm a proponent for keeping software current when it's possible.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu May 02, 2024 9:57 am

I just discovered playlists and am actually fucking irate that I had no idea that was a thing A LOT sooner.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu May 02, 2024 10:31 am

I think someone told me many years ago "oh, you should use playlists" and I was like "nah, I'm good. this works for me". But then I tried it and NEVER went back. I was an idiot. It saves so much time once you get the hang of it.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri May 03, 2024 7:46 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:31 am
I think someone told me many years ago "oh, you should use playlists" and I was like "nah, I'm good. this works for me". But then I tried it and NEVER went back. I was an idiot. It saves so much time once you get the hang of it.
When I first started with PT I had been on RADAR or tape. I'd do takes across the timeline, so the keeper might be 12 minutes in or something. I would also set up multiple tracks for vocals or solos. Then, like you, I discovered playlists and it might be my favorite thing about Pro Tools.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri May 03, 2024 7:56 am

trodden wrote:
THAT'S BEEN AROUND SINCE 2010!?!? jesus christ. I need to start looking at manuals. I just found out about that like a year ago. :high:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri May 03, 2024 11:20 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:56 am
trodden wrote:
THAT'S BEEN AROUND SINCE 2010!?!? jesus christ. I need to start looking at manuals. I just found out about that like a year ago. :high:
I wish I got to see the look on your face when you discovered it. Billy Anderson was the one who showed me and he chuckled when my jaw hit the floor.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri May 03, 2024 2:06 pm

that site that I put a link to earlier in this thread has an email they send out maybe every week (or two?). It's not spammy, and while I'm not really looking for training (or at least not to pay for it :lol: ), they often have a short, free video (or blog) on new features. I don't always read the manual either, but sometimes a quick introduction is all you need to get going. And it's been real content - not internet crap.
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat May 04, 2024 8:04 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:06 pm
that site that I put a link to earlier in this thread has an email they send out maybe every week (or two?). It's not spammy, and while I'm not really looking for training (or at least not to pay for it :lol: ), they often have a short, free video (or blog) on new features. I don't always read the manual either, but sometimes a quick introduction is all you need to get going. And it's been real content - not internet crap.
I just signed up for the monthly letter. I'm far from a 'power user' type, but I know I'm missing some helpful things.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat May 04, 2024 8:44 am

drumsound wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:04 am
monthly letter.
ok, monthly. as they say, time flies when you're having fun... :D
Mike

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat May 04, 2024 11:30 am

Back to "Freeze" and "Commit":

1. I use Commit A LOT for when I've used Auto Align 2 to fix drum phase - I want to use a lot more plug-in on these tracks after and the Delay Compensation can get overloaded.

2. I will use PT's Multiband Splitter feeding 4 Aux tracks, Commit (must be done in real time for some reason), then orig track Hide and Inactive, and then apply processing as needed on these 4 new tracks that have the audio bands split up. Amazing for fixing bad bass guitars, keyboards that are skewed to certain frequencies when you need more, etc.

3. I will use Sonnox Oxford Drum Gate on like a bottom snare mic, Commit the track, and then visually check against the top snare mic to make sure hits are not missing or kick/toms didn't open it up. Saves time and Delay Compensation as well.

4. Commit is also awesome for virtual instruments or samples. Once you're locked in with sounds you want just Commit this so you can open this session in a few years and it'll be there if needed.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat May 04, 2024 12:41 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:06 pm
Great! Thanks for the resource!!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat May 04, 2024 12:43 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 11:30 am
Back to "Freeze" and "Commit":

1. I use Commit A LOT for when I've used Auto Align 2 to fix drum phase - I want to use a lot more plug-in on these tracks after and the Delay Compensation can get overloaded.

2. I will use PT's Multiband Splitter feeding 4 Aux tracks, Commit (must be done in real time for some reason), then orig track Hide and Inactive, and then apply processing as needed on these 4 new tracks that have the audio bands split up. Amazing for fixing bad bass guitars, keyboards that are skewed to certain frequencies when you need more, etc.

3. I will use Sonnox Oxford Drum Gate on like a bottom snare mic, Commit the track, and then visually check against the top snare mic to make sure hits are not missing or kick/toms didn't open it up. Saves time and Delay Compensation as well.

4. Commit is also awesome for virtual instruments or samples. Once you're locked in with sounds you want just Commit this so you can open this session in a few years and it'll be there if needed.
Great suggestions. Especially #3. Anything to free up some resources. I've yet to mess around with any Auto Align plugs. On drums are you lining up to the snare drum?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun May 05, 2024 7:14 am

...Looks up the Pro Tools multi-band splitter since I'm not familiar.

Looks like I might have it (even as part of PT Studio), but also looks like a lot of work lol. TBH I've avoided most of the extra Avid plugins because I was not sure if I'd be keeping the "support" active every year (but I have so far) and if I stop, then I'm pretty sure I'd lose access to all of that and Heat, etc. so I try to get by with the plugins where I own perpetual licenses.

and totally agree on the virtual instruments. some of those VIs fall by the way side and are really difficult to get back to if you did not save the sound. I know I have sessions (from PT9 or earlier) before AAX with plugins that don't work anymore and some I don't think they even made an AAX plugin. I really hope I never need them because I don't want to build a PT8/9 system (although I do know people that still have them). had I bounced an audio track back then it would be easier to import. you live and learn.
Mike

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon May 06, 2024 5:28 pm

So I dove into the monthly subscription for now and I am really digging it. The playlist comping is unbelievably easy, especially for drums.

Anyway to your post I went through all the Avid plugins and found a few that were pretty great.
The Mooger Fooger, Real Tape effects, the Studio Reverb actually had some great sounds with a simple interface. Lo-fi is shockingly good as is the Sansamp.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.