The Unwelcome Guest

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lsn110
steve albini likes it

The Unwelcome Guest

Post by lsn110 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:52 am

This probably belongs in the OT queue, but it's an issue that's cramping my studio life in a big way...

Long story short, I have a studio in my basement (that was built with a partner's help) that I do bring clients into from time to time. Right now it's mostly friends and acquaintances...which is just fine. Enter my current problem:

My uncle has come in from out of town on a construction job that was supposed to last 2 weeks. Being a good relative, I said yes when he asked to stay with us (so that he could save some money). 2 weeks has now stretched to at least 4 (probably 5). As in many construction jobs, he gets up at some ungodly hour and goes to bed at 8:30pm. This, needless to say, makes my normal evening studio work tough. Walking on eggshells and all of that. It's really annoying. And we're not cancelling next week's sessions.

I know what I have to do (kick him out), but I'll probably settle for some kind of compromise that makes neither of us happy. Oh...and subtlety and hints DO NOT WORK. He is one of the densest people I have ever encountered. It seems to me like he's passive aggressive, but I don't think he's that smart. How does one reason with a box of rocks?

So in the interest of making this a studio related queue. What do you do when you have a project that just won't end (especially if it's not paying you money)?

Ranting,
Paul

JASIII
george martin

Re: The Unwelcome Guest

Post by JASIII » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:54 am

That sucks. That'll teach you to be nice to people. I'd suggest a nice, cheap motel for this guy.

Or.....A VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!!
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:58 am

JASIII wrote:
Or.....A VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!!
Bit o trivia. Did you guys know that sketch was written by Bob Odenkirk? Straight up. It's in the Mr. Show book.

I wouldn't kick him out, but I also wouldn't change anything about the way you work. Maybe after a couple of "late" night jam sessions, he'll get the point and take it upon himself to find other accomodations.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:00 am

bedbug wrote:I wouldn't kick him out, but I also wouldn't change anything about the way you work. Maybe after a couple of "late" night jam sessions, he'll get the point and take it upon himself to find other accomodations.
Yeah, just get back to your normal life. He can either live with it or leave...

jsegovia
gettin' sounds

Post by jsegovia » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:05 am

lsn110 wrote:As in many construction jobs, he gets up at some ungodly hour and goes to bed at 8:30pm. This, needless to say, makes my normal evening studio work tough.
I'd be interested in finding out how he lets you know you have to be really quiet after 8:30PM.

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:05 am

Hey Bedbug, check out the Ben Stiller DVD. Watching them now, a diehard Mr. Show fan can pick out which sketches have the Odenkirk name all over them.

As for the houseguest... I say turn it up (just like Freedom Rock). If he complains, that will give you a perfect chance to politely say, "Well perhaps you'd be more comfortable at a motel. Oddly enough, I have the brochure for one stuck to the fridge. What are the odds? Check it out."

-GABE

jsegovia
gettin' sounds

Post by jsegovia » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:07 am

XXGABEXX wrote:I say turn it up (just like Freedom Rock).
LOL! Was that the best commercial of all time or was it not?

:lol:

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:25 am

XXGABEXX wrote: As for the houseguest... I say turn it up (just like Freedom Rock). If he complains, that will give you a perfect chance to politely say, "Well perhaps you'd be more comfortable at a motel.
-GABE
That's rude. He's family. Just be honest. Anyone should appreciate honesty. "Hey uncle (whoever)... listen, it's really great to have you here as my gest, but I'd like to talk to you a second about my studio work..."

He's there for 4-5 weeks, your family forever!
:wink:
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:45 am

That's rude
So is extending a 2-week stay to infinity.

-GABE

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:49 am

for $25 bucks we'll come over and explain it to him..if you get my meaning
oh yeah and 2 plane tix
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:00 am

guitarwhore wrote:for $25 bucks we'll come over and explain it to him..if you get my meaning
oh yeah and 2 plane tix
You and Rocco?
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:00 am

"Fish and visitors stink in three days."

--Ben Franklin

...sorry, that's all I got.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

raysolinski
audio school

Post by raysolinski » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:15 am

I have a story related to "Freedom Rock"...About 10 years ago I was living in South Carolina..doing the beach bar acoustic thing..One day my roommate and I went to play a round of golf. As a twosome we got paired up with 2 guys..nice guys from Atlanta..rather hippy looking...After listening to the one guy talk for a few holes my friend said he sounded familiar...He said he was a dj in Atlanta (orignally from Denver) but we said, can't be it since we never heard any radio from Atlanta......So the guy fessed up..He was the hippy on the commercial!!! "Turn it up Dude, it's Freedom Rock"....We almost busted a gut...

Ray
What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:29 am

He's not my uncle so I dunno how dense he is, but it seems like the thing to do is sit him down and tell him that you have plans to record and it's income for you (even if it isn't, say it is). Let him suggest a solution then work out something that's good for both of you -- but stand firm with your plans to record next week!

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:43 am

be up front, explain the deal to him, but be firm - you are doing him a favor, family or not. it's not your responsibility to change your life around to accomodate him, and if it's so disruptive he can't deal with it, he'll find another place to stay.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's