mogami cable

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
villican
alignin' 24-trk

mogami cable

Post by villican » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:30 am

Which type is the best? We are about to Mogamize our whole studio. We have some Mogami W2549 w/Neutrik Connectors. Is this the best Mogami or is there a better type?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: mogami cable

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:19 am

villican wrote:Which type is the best? We are about to Mogamize our whole studio. We have some Mogami W2549 w/Neutrik Connectors. Is this the best Mogami or is there a better type?
I built a whole set of TT cables for Master Control to supplement what we had and I can say I was less than impressed with the Neutrik TT connectors. The nickel plating makes for a really, really fussy soldier fuse and the early connectors required that you own the $300 crimper to close them up after soldiering.

I'd look for the molded connectors at the ends of the mogami cable that come ready made. They are solidly built and the connectors are stable- and you won't waste all that time sniffin' tin.

villican
alignin' 24-trk

Post by villican » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:26 am

thanks for the reply. so i guess the w2549 is the standard for the cable?

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:28 am

unless you have to have mogami for some reason, I would get in touch with redco and talk to them about the cable they make, its virtually identical. Really.

dave

villican
alignin' 24-trk

Post by villican » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:44 am

i was going to have them made here:
http://www.wspa-inc.com/cablform.htm

strats
audio school

Post by strats » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:22 pm

I HAVE A BEEN OPERATING A STUDIO FOR MANY YEARS NOW AND LET ME TELL YA, DON'T TRY TO SCRIMP ON AN AREA OF THE STUDIO THAT MAKES UP A VERY TINNY FRACTION OF THE OVERALL COST OF THE OVERALL SETUP. YOU WILL END UP REPLACEING IT LATTER.THAT IS A WASTE. I AM RUNNING 100% O2 FREE AND IT WAS WORTH IT.TRIED THE CHEAP WAY IN THE BEGINNING AND WASTED MY TIME AND MONEY.THE WORSTE WAS TIME.
MOGOMY CABLE IS THE SHIT FOR MULTI PAIRS/BUSSING, FOR MIC CABLES HOWEVER I AM USEING CONAIR NEGLEX STAR QUAD..THE MOG. IS TANGLESOME DUE TO ITS SPIRAL SHEILD.BOTH ARE HIGHLY REGAURDED IN THE FIELD AND ARE O2 FREE. THEY SOUND SMOOTH AND HIGH RES.
AT FIRST LISTEN YOU WILL THINK THIS STUFF SOUNDS MIDRANGE HEAVY.
THAT IS MOST LIKELY BECAUSE WE HAVE BECOME ACCUSTOMED TO THE DEFICIENTCIES OF LOW QUALITY WIREING.
AT SOME POINT YOU WILL GET USED TO THE HIGHER RESOLUTION AND SMOOTHNESS: YOU WILL ENJOY THE ABILITY TO ACUALLY HEAR YOUR HIGH QUALITY CLASS A MIC PRE'S "AIR"AND YOU WON'T REACH FOR THE EQ KNOBS HALF AS OFTEN...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:52 pm

Hey dude, nice caps...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:53 pm

...must be using Mogami from keyboard to computer...

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:55 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:Hey dude, nice caps...
shit, are compliments free or does he owe you $35 now?

dave

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:00 pm

soundguy wrote:unless you have to have mogami for some reason, I would get in touch with redco and talk to them about the cable they make, its virtually identical. Really.

dave

YUP.

Good stuff....in fact, I made some snakes out of it to take to another studio and the engineer complimented my work and said, "Hmmm...Mogami.....nice"

(Of course I punched him in the ghoulies and when he went down I pushed his stupid face into the cable and made him read the logo aloud. What a jerk. He's lucky I was still on my good bahaviour.)

heylow

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:45 pm

soundguy wrote:
Jeff Robinson wrote:Hey dude, nice caps...
shit, are compliments free or does he owe you $35 now?

dave
He'll charge you 10 for an answer!

Al

Professor

Post by Professor » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:59 pm

Um, I guess it depends on what kind of wiring you're talking about here. There are lots of different bulk wires available from Mogami and others. Oh, and I think strats up there meant Canare, not Conair for the mic cables.
I wired up most of the university studio with star-quad cabling for that very reason that I know fifty years from now they will still have the same wire in the walls. I used mostly Canare because I prefer the durability of braided shields over wrapped shields (Mogami). I used starquad (4-conductor, 2 positive and 2 negative) as opposed to two conductor stuff like the model you listed because it has better rejection characteristics and I know the university campus is flooded with RF from radio & TV stations, walkie-talkies, cell phones, computers, the nuclear physics building, etc. If you're out in the woods, you're probably safe, but if you're in a city, it doesn't hurt to get the 4-conductor cables. They are even available in multi-channel bundles if you prefer to go that way.
Check out the Canare catalog on line to familiarize yourself a bit more with cable design in general, as it will give you a better idea of what to look for in any brand, whether it be Canare, Mogami, Redco, etc.

-Jeremy