Any internships in sacramento?

ctmsound
george martin

Any internships in sacramento?

Post by ctmsound » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:17 pm

Hey everyone, I'm a recent graduate of San Francisco State University with a bachelor's degree in audio engineering and I'm seeking post graduate experience in a professional studio. I am curious if anyone on the board has any internship availability or are interested in an intern at your studio?

My background is mainly music recording/mixing. I have participated in roughly 30 music recordings ranging from rock bands to 20 person choirs, as well as various solo artists. I have experience with both digital and analog domains, recording and mixing in an all analog tape machine environment utilizing outboard gear and large format inline consoles. I have also worked strictly with digital audio workstations such as pro tools TDM and HD systems as well as digital consoles such as the Mackie D8b. I have participated in every aspect of the recording process. I'm just hoping to gain a little more experience outside of my education at SF State.

I am also experienced in sound design for film, spent two semesters working with that and foley. I also have worked in both radio and television production as well as location shooting for TV and documentaries. :)

My resume is linked at the bottom if you're interested.

Regards,

-Chris Miller
ctmsound@surewest.net

http://home.surewest.net/k.miller/chris ... resume.htm

brew
pushin' record

Re: Any internships in sacramento?

Post by brew » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:13 pm

Just a word of advice about your resume...

Especially if it's identical to your printed resume, I suggest doing a little tweaking on the format/layout. Specifically, you need additional line breaks to separate the main headings and subheadings. Also, you need to indent the subheadings from the main headings (like you have done with "Skills" underneath the subheadings. I may even leave "Skills" out, as it is obvious you are listing your skills. Anyway, regarding indentation for example, is Script Writing a subheading of Education, or is it it's own new bit of information?? Even more important, because of the lack of line breaks and indentations, Education gets completely lost to begin with, unless you really stare at the resume for a moment...and in the world of competing for studio gigs, you don't have that much time to get your point across.

There are also a few grammatical mistakes, that mean certain death for your resume and you if you don't correct them. For example, "Written one corporate/educational technical script for..." It should be "Wrote..." And make it CONCISE:
Wrote technical script on analog tape alignment and calibration
See how nice, clean, readable, and easy that is now?

Spend time on your resume...you really do value your education and experience, right? Spend the time and it will show. Having a concise and organized resume will make a real impression on an employer about the kind of person that you are. Take your resume to the next level. Right now you've got a C resume. With the right tweaks you can make it an A.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:00 am

Appreciate the advice. I myself found it a bit confusing to read (my resume that is). I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:26 pm

How do you think it looks now? I corrected some grammar mistakes. I think the whole layout is easier to read.

http://home.surewest.net/k.miller/Chris ... Resume.doc

http://home.surewest.net/k.miller/chris ... resume.htm

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:20 pm

For a second there, I though you were Chris Miller, the guy into audio and mutlimedia that I use to know who lived in the Roseville/Rocklin area and whom I haven't seen for quite a few years now. But from your resume, I guess not.

Weston Ray
Weston House Recording
Sacramento/Orangevale, CA
(916) 987-6692
Weston@WestonHouseRecording.com
www.WestonHouseRecording.com

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:27 pm

Recording Engineer wrote:For a second there, I though you were Chris Miller, the guy into audio and mutlimedia that I use to know who lived in the Roseville/Rocklin area and whom I haven't seen for quite a few years now. But from your resume, I guess not.

Weston Ray
I know a Chris Miller that lives in that area also. He plays keyboards, etc. Weird.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:55 pm

Does he play keys and also sing? At least use to be involved with a church... Went to American River College and was in jazz chior there.

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:48 am

Recording Engineer wrote:Does he play keys and also sing? At least use to be involved with a church... Went to American River College and was in jazz chior there.
That sounds exactly like him. I met him a few years ago when we worked in the same building. He's a good guy. I still converse with him a bit here and there. We still work for the same company, but in different locations.

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:19 am

hellgren wrote:
Recording Engineer wrote:For a second there, I though you were Chris Miller, the guy into audio and mutlimedia that I use to know who lived in the Roseville/Rocklin area and whom I haven't seen for quite a few years now. But from your resume, I guess not.

Weston Ray
I know a Chris Miller that lives in that area also. He plays keyboards, etc. Weird.
I know a Chris Miller from Roseville, too. i think he plays keys, in fact.
This boy gets around.