another dumb otari question!!!!!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wormunit
alignin' 24-trk

Re: another dumb otari question!!!!!

Post by wormunit » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:24 pm

Did you check to make sure the pitch control is not engaged? Sometimes mine doesn't always reset, and I have to flip it on and off til it engages the correct speed. That's one thing I really don't like about the Otari.

Devin

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:18 pm

2 stabs in the dark

1. dunno which model you're using, but on my MX70 - there's a speed control which can be locked to internal/external/vari. make sure you have internal set

2. otherwise it sounds like a mechanical problem huh? something w/the reel motor? but why only in record? hmm. you've replicated the same behavior and it's consistantly only in record?

i dunno if that helps at all.

also visually inspect the tape path as you drop into overdub - is everything kosher? any rubbing or other wierdness?

also, is it only on overdub or what about tracking from scratch?

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:44 pm

These Otari's are like a foreign car...when one thing goes it's hard to narrow it down yourself. I notice you're from MPLS, as am I. I had Scott Cummings from American Pro Audio do a once over on my Otari MTR90II after it was shipped from Boston. He said there are certain problems Otari's develop after awhile. He told me the servo arms tend to bend out of alignment after awhile. Mine were in horrible shape and I had to get them replaced (not cheap). I'm wondering though what Otari you have. I have issues with my locator. I don't know if it was stress on the cables connecting to the Otari but sometimes the logic will be all messed up and I have to 'giggle' the connectors on the back of the locator or on the 24 track. I haven't had pitch issues but I could imagine it being that or something on one of the main buss cards (again I don't know which Otari you have).

If it only happens with recorded tracks I'd think the locator would be suspect.

--Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:13 pm

What model is it?

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:26 am

Are you using old tape? I've had this with old 456 from the 90s, lots of speed stability problems. Some fresh tape and a good cleaning took care of it.

cv