Microphones on Airplanes

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Max
takin' a dinner break

Re: Microphones on Airplanes

Post by Max » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:00 am

I took about ten microphones with me on a plan trip last month. Ribbon and condenser mics - no problem.
Just make sure that you can show the mics to airport security on demand without having to empty your whole bag. I had three M160s, three AT4050s and a 4047 in a small foam padded metal suitcase that I had in my hand lagguage and I was asked three times to open it before I was allowed on board. The rest of the mics together with some pre-amps were in my suitcase that was checked in. No problems or questions asked.
And yes, please no jokes about how your mics resemble hand granates! Those people have a very strange sense of humor.

goldenechos
gettin' sounds

Post by goldenechos » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:07 am

Max wrote:I took about ten microphones with me on a plan trip last month. Ribbon and condenser mics - no problem.
Just make sure that you can show the mics to airport security on demand without having to empty your whole bag. I had three M160s, three AT4050s and a 4047 in a small foam padded metal suitcase that I had in my hand lagguage and I was asked three times to open it before I was allowed on board. The rest of the mics together with some pre-amps were in my suitcase that was checked in. No problems or questions asked.
And yes, please no jokes about how your mics resemble hand granates! Those people have a very strange sense of humor.
Thanx for relating this...
I guess the biggest problem is getting them on the plane!

KFT
pushin' record

Post by KFT » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:34 am

I would have to agree that getting them on the plane may take a little extra time. I traveled with a BLUE Mouse a month ago and they were sure to take it out of my carry on and test it for explosives with whatever the machine is that they check laptop computers with. Come to think of it though, my biggest hassle was finding room in the overhead bin for my carry on. My row was the last one to board so the overhead bins were filled to the bursting point by the time I got on the plane. The stewardess wanted me to check my carry on rather than help me find some room for it. I said "hell no!" I wasn't going to put a $1200 mic in the cargo hold of the plane.

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:18 am

I went through security with a Hamptone tube pre a marshall tube mic (in flight case) and a coles 4038 ribbon.....they didn't even look at the tube mic...instead i had to open the hamptone and the coles so they couls 'swab' them with bomb juice or something.....of course they didnt even want to see the tube mic...?? which makes sense???
when i got home my coles was fucked and was glad i gave them all the shit i could without being arrested

fuck airport security!

oops, i mean ...be careful traveling with exp. mics!

(cop knock on door)

goldenechos
gettin' sounds

Post by goldenechos » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:27 am

squizo wrote: when i got home my coles was fucked and was glad i gave them all the shit i could without being arrested
Dude, are you serious?!
You really should get some retribution for that. What is this "bomb Juice" and why/ how did it damage the Coles?

tony echos