motherboard for DAW recommendations?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JWL
deaf.

motherboard for DAW recommendations?

Post by JWL » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:41 am

Greetings all,

I'm looking to upgrade the motherboard in my DAW. The one I have was reasonably fast, but it wasn't all that well suited to audio work for a variety of reasons, specifically it "wants" the sound card to be in a specific PCI slot, but there is a capacitor in the way that physically prevents me from installing the audio card into that slot. So as a result I have a whole host of IRQ problems that I've managed to work around until now, but the situation isn't ideal.

I think I want to stay with Athlon. I don't want to go 64 bit just yet. As always, cheap is good, but I want to get something that works.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a solid DAW mobo? I don't need much built-in, I have a Delta1010LT soundcard, I have a solid dual-head video card that works fine. I don't need networking as my DAW is never connected to the Internet.

I just want a solid mobo that won't give me headaches or the occasional pop and click that I get now.

Software-wise, my DAW is Sonar 3.1.1; I'll probably upgrade that at some point (since they are up to 5.2 now at least). I'm running XP Home.

Anyone?

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:56 pm

It seems like a lot of people are using Asus mobos for DAWs, which is cool. But does anyone have any recommendations on specific features to look for, in terms of chipsets, etc? There are a ton of Asus models out there with somewhat similar feature sets, and very dissimilar pricepoints.

Basically I want a minimal mobo, maybe with USB2 and Firewire.... that's about it. I'd rather spend the balance on RAM....

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:21 pm

You might want to go to the sonar forum at www.cakewalk.com. There are a bunch of AMD builders there who have specs for their systems. The DUC at www.digidesign.com sometimes has some okay recommendations as well. I've heard you want to go with the nvidia, and not the ati, chipsets, although noones given me any reasons why. I have an ati chipset on the asus motherboard that came with my hewlett packard amd setup, and I haven't really had any problems, although I haven't used it yet for audio.
jwl wrote:It seems like a lot of people are using Asus mobos for DAWs, which is cool. But does anyone have any recommendations on specific features to look for, in terms of chipsets, etc? There are a ton of Asus models out there with somewhat similar feature sets, and very dissimilar pricepoints.

Basically I want a minimal mobo, maybe with USB2 and Firewire.... that's about it. I'd rather spend the balance on RAM....

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:18 pm

Hi,
I'm still running an XP mobile chip @ 2200 all the time and 2300 when I need a boost for mixdown. Stock CPU Fan. Asus A7N deluxe. 2 X 512 OC ram. Beware you need to disable the onboard Sil 3112 SATA controller and use a Sil 3114 Sata controller card instead. The 3112 causes pops and clicks and a bunch of other garbage. Other than that it's been perfect. The ATA is fine.
Running GeForce FX5200and RME DIGI9652 cards with the Sil 3114, Motu MTPAV on the Parallel port.
It's hard to justify going to 64bit as long as it runs everything I need..
mrc

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:47 pm

The PC I built is Windows XP based and running SONAR 3.1.1 as well. I went with the recommendations of the board at the time (about a year and a half ago now) and went with the ASUS P4P800-E as the motherboard. I went with the socket 478 version as that was the Pentium I already had ready to pop in. I have not had a single problem with this system AT ALL since I got it up and running. Cannot be more happy with it, and am only thinking of upgrading the processor in the future as it is a 2.0GHz and want to get myself up to 3. Tons of available space for RAM, and compatible with up to PC3200 no problem. 1 Firewire and 3 (I think) USB built in... I went out and got a Belkin Firewire card to run my 828 per their recommendation.
Don't want to carry on anymore, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
I love my computer!

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:02 am

Just a quick one - my 2 cents - Athlon 64 processors rock, IMo they are the best bang for the buck right now, even the single core processors - get a socket 939 mobo or better. Avoid PCI Express unless you GOTTA have it - i'm running an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe, with a digi 001 and PT 6.4, and a Ati radeon x300 with a pci x16 socket, and the graphics card crashes the machine ALL the time - i don't have agp, only got 2 spare pci slots, and all to support an expansion card format that has very little relevance for music yet. APART from that, ASUS mobo's are ace ;-p

My Athlon 64 4000+ single core is RIPPING with PT LE 6.4, Reason 3, Acid, Vegas, Ableton etc etc....can't say enough good things about it.

Take it easy and good luck!

Paul Fury 161
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:27 pm

nlmd311 wrote:The PC I built is Windows XP based and running SONAR 3.1.1 as well. I went with the recommendations of the board at the time (about a year and a half ago now) and went with the ASUS P4P800-E as the motherboard. I went with the socket 478 version as that was the Pentium I already had ready to pop in. I have not had a single problem with this system AT ALL since I got it up and running. Cannot be more happy with it, and am only thinking of upgrading the processor in the future as it is a 2.0GHz and want to get myself up to 3. Tons of available space for RAM, and compatible with up to PC3200 no problem. 1 Firewire and 3 (I think) USB built in... I went out and got a Belkin Firewire card to run my 828 per their recommendation.
Don't want to carry on anymore, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
I love my computer!

-Darrill
I have the P4P800-E Deluxe. It's been rock solid except for the fact that the bios will NOT save. I think the battery is dead. Go to ASUS website and look at their product comparisons and choose the one you like. Obviously, they have the latest products so it should help you weed through all the different models.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:37 pm

I just wanted to update people... I've been researching and I'm pretty close to ordering the following:

Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 Socket 939 ULi M1689 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2000MHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

I can get the above delivered for right around $360, and there is a $50 rebate on the RAM.

Anyone see any reason not to go for this setup?

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:14 am

Just ordered the above.... I'll report back once it's up and running.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:32 pm

ctmsound wrote: It's been rock solid except for the fact that the bios will NOT save. I think the battery is dead.
Thats usualy a tell tale sign. Easy/cheap fix though!