dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed May 14, 2008 3:55 pm

KILL THE NEW GUY!!
KILL THE NEW GUY!!

Just kidding.
:)

Welcome dude.
I still feel like a new guy here too even though I've been reading this board for years I don't post much.
Only when I feel I have something solid to contribute.
But this board has a LOT of really good experience and friendly help.

brinnbacka
ass engineer

Post by brinnbacka » Wed May 14, 2008 10:23 pm

dsw wrote:KILL THE NEW GUY!!
KILL THE NEW GUY!!

Just kidding.
:)

Welcome dude.
I still feel like a new guy here too even though I've been reading this board for years I don't post much.
Only when I feel I have something solid to contribute.
But this board has a LOT of really good experience and friendly help.
Haha! Thanks!

In here most of the talk is about something else than faffing around on your computer one way or another, and that for me at least is exactly what I want to read and discuss.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Thu May 15, 2008 1:13 pm

JohnnyDemonic wrote:
Andy Smash wrote:I wonder if it might be possible to run two channels to the 4-track as an aux send on the final mix. That way you could mix in enough cassette to get some of its ambience, while also having some control over how much "ick" was audible in your final mix.
see my previous post
i'm not sure which machines will do this, but could you theoretically run it this way and monitor what is being put to tape as it's happening? then you wouldn't have to worry about lining something up later, as you're just tracking what the tape sounds as it's getting committed to the tape.

i'm just completely talking out of the wrong end here, but this way does seem to still be somehow possible, although you might need a modded 4track/cassette deck to achieve it. also some slight nudging might be in order if this were ever possible.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Thu May 15, 2008 2:06 pm

all this sounds like a lot of fuss to add something that is not really necessary. I would just mix to a real tape machine or use a good tape simulator (neve portico, massey tapehead plug). Let's not pretend that cassette is good...
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Thu May 15, 2008 2:38 pm

anyone who loves recording loves 'fuss', though!

k Holmes
pluggin' in mics

Post by k Holmes » Mon May 19, 2008 9:58 pm

Why not send a squashed mix to tape, then mix that back in with the un-squashed original to taste?

because tape is inconsistent & you'll never get it to match up to the digital files (tape machine runs slow/fast... even if you have a super tuned tape machine I doubt that you'd get the files to line up)
= the possibility of awesome tape flanging Queen Style! Might be a little harder to do on a four track than a ATR, but it could happen...

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Tue May 20, 2008 4:42 pm

sorry, but...
oldguitars wrote:all this sounds like a lot of fuss to add something that is not really necessary.
necessary?
oldguitars wrote:I would just mix to a real tape machine or use a good tape simulator (neve portico, massey tapehead plug).
$$
oldguitars wrote:Let's not pretend that cassette is good...
no pretending. cassette is great. 1/32" of pure tone.
If cassette 4 track is the sound he's looking for, cassette 4 track is the way to get it.

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

junkyardtodd
gettin' sounds

Post by junkyardtodd » Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 am

Absolutely. There is really no law requiring us to present everything in full spectrum absolute hi-fidelity. If he's hoping to get played on college radio the tape hiss and etc... may work in his favor.
Yes, I am one of THOSE people, up in the attic, trying to recreate the magical sounds of my youth (cheap trick, boston, pavement) on the family 8 track recorder.

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Sun May 25, 2008 12:10 pm

I have certainly made some nice sounding recordings with an old 424 Tascam cassette recorder. I never recorded drums with it, so that might have made it easier to mix. However, I bounced tracks all over, flipped the tape for reverse effects...all the standard foolery, and ended up with a few nice mixes.

I have taken beats from Reason and sent them to tape (early 80's Harmon Kardon cassette deck), then back in to PT just to give them some flavor.
If it isn't hurting the sound (open to opinion I know), and you are having fun with it, then do it.