Studio Secrets: The HUM guitar sound (Keith Cleversley)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

solo-bration
gettin' sounds

Studio Secrets: The HUM guitar sound (Keith Cleversley)

Post by solo-bration » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:59 pm

came across this blog that producer Keith Cleversley posted about how he recorded guitar for HUM's "You'd Prefer An Astronaut". Pretty interesting.

http://www.cleversley.com/?cat=11

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:51 pm

good read... i love the way that record sounds but they really dropped the ball on the remastering. i'd love it to be remastered but it would so inevitably be smooshed.

solo-bration
gettin' sounds

Post by solo-bration » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:46 pm

I'm curious to know who produced the record the first time for $65k

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:16 pm

the article on the Flaming Lips "Transmissions" drum sounds was interesting too, especially since i've heard the gigantic-ness of those drums attributed to an 1176 with all the ratio buttons in several different places... turns out that's not even close. thanks for the link!
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:35 am

must read, love all things HUM
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:12 am

You could record at great western with Matt. He was the singer/guitarist in HUM. He owns and operates a studio in Champaign, IL.

http://gwrecordrecorders.com/

Check it out!!!

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:44 pm

joel hamilton wrote:You could record at great western with Matt. He was the singer/guitarist in HUM. He owns and operates a studio in Champaign, IL.

Check it out!!!
seconded. i did a session there this spring and am bringing my own band there in 2 weeks for basics. matt knows how to treat freelancers well.

and joel, come on it's tolono. pop 2700.

:)

actually that's what i like most about it, is it IS in bumfuck, albeit only 15 min out of champaign - so close enough to civilization if you need it, but far enough to be distraction free.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:16 pm

nobody knows where tolono is if they havent been to that studio.
:) :roll: :?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

joel hamilton wrote:You could record at great western with Matt. He was the singer/guitarist in HUM. He owns and operates a studio in Champaign, IL.

looks like a great place. and he's funny:
matt wrote:Digital Performer Complete with some of the worst sounding plug-ins you've ever heard.
Motu 828 mkII A complete piece of garbage. The centerpiece of my digital world.
really hyping it up there. :D

Ryan Wasoba
ass engineer

Post by Ryan Wasoba » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:55 pm

If xonlocust seconded this, i'll third it. My band recorded at Great Western in February and it ruled. Matt Talbott didn't engineer, but he assisted and he ruled. The studio is rad and there's a great staircase that Matt tends to throw mics in for crazy room sounds that came in VERY handy upon mix time.

Great Talbott memory: our engineer was dialing in the vocal mic while our singer was loading his bass gear out (we were pretty rushed for time) and he told this story, completely deadpan, about camping with his family and the couple in the tent next to him having sex really loudly. We couldn't see him but we could just hear the story through the NS-10s, like i said, completely deadpan. The best line: "I mean, i'm here with my kids, and he's...he's really giving it to her over there"
http://birdcloudrecording.tumblr.com <-- stu stu studio. oh oh.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:32 am

I seem to remember Tim always playing Fenders. It sounds like the Flaming Lips gave him a lot of shit as well...
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:32 am

Ryan Wasoba wrote:If xonlocust seconded this, i'll third it. My band recorded at Great Western in February and it ruled. Matt Talbott didn't engineer, but he assisted and he ruled. The studio is rad and there's a great staircase that Matt tends to throw mics in for crazy room sounds that came in VERY handy upon mix time.

Great Talbott memory: our engineer was dialing in the vocal mic while our singer was loading his bass gear out (we were pretty rushed for time) and he told this story, completely deadpan, about camping with his family and the couple in the tent next to him having sex really loudly. We couldn't see him but we could just hear the story through the NS-10s, like i said, completely deadpan. The best line: "I mean, i'm here with my kids, and he's...he's really giving it to her over there"
matt is the deadpan champion.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:47 am

joel hamilton wrote:nobody knows where tolono is if they havent been to that studio.
:) :roll: :?
Shit I've been there and I don't know where Tolono is!

Matt does kick ass.

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:12 am

Tony,
just get off of I-74 at the Neil St. exit & head south. You will come to Tolono in about 10 or 12 miles :idea:
There is a pretty good club to play in Tolono called Radamakers. (sp)
Dave H. :D
Will Drum For Money