Can the public radio model work for bands?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Leviethan
gettin' sounds

Post by Leviethan » Sat May 02, 2009 2:24 am

Yes! To everything you said.
Leviethan

daved
alignin' 24-trk

Post by daved » Sat May 02, 2009 7:55 pm

I didn't say I don't support public radio, or dislike it's programming. Quite the opposite. I just hate the fundraising model. I'd also point out there are many public radio fundraising models, I was just bitching about the most common one.

More to the point, I don't see how a band can compete with any of these models. I may support my local public radio station with a pledge, or purchase of a bauble, but how does that translate to artists' needs? It's just not sustainable. NPR is 24/7/365. Bands are periodic shows, and infrequent albums. There is a model for this: CDs and tours (not necessarily either or, but maybe, depending on the artist). It's kind of a mis-match of media - ad supported movies and theater don't work for similar reasons.

All payment models have to relate to the medium in question. Continuous programming like radio or TV breeds continuous support in one form or another because it requires it. Sporadic output, like movies or CDs, or even tours and theatrical events, breed sporadic, short-term support.

-d-
Dave Davis
bands.theallnightparty.com

Leviethan
gettin' sounds

Post by Leviethan » Thu May 07, 2009 9:24 am

So far I've raised about $700 from 25 people. I've contacted about 150-200 friends, family members and people who've bought CDs in the past. If at least 50 more of them come through, I should be good to go. I'm also playing a food event/fundraiser next month, so that should bump me up quite a bit. I think it's going to work! This sort of thing seems like it would be a breeze for bands with more of a following than myself. Even in a crappy economy.
Leviethan

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu May 07, 2009 9:56 am

Seems like it would be a breeze for people with a lot of good friends who have some money to burn.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu May 07, 2009 11:07 am

Aren't all bands pretty much working on a public radio model? Music is generally available for free (if illegally), and people who choose to buy it instead of stealing it often do so because they want to support the artist.

The missing part of the equation is the public financing. I think most public stations get about half their funding thru the government. I've heard that Canadian bands can get different grants and so forth.

I think the "public radio model" is a misnomer. For it to be more accurate, the alternative would be advertising supported music (okay, maybe that is where we are, I'm looking at you, Prince). What you're talking about is setting up your musical endeavors as a sort of charity.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu May 07, 2009 11:17 am

darjama wrote:Aren't all bands pretty much working on a public radio model? Music is generally available for free (if illegally), and people who choose to buy it instead of stealing it often do so because they want to support the artist.

The missing part of the equation is the public financing. I think most public stations get about half their funding thru the government. I've heard that Canadian bands can get different grants and so forth.

I think the "public radio model" is a misnomer. For it to be more accurate, the alternative would be advertising supported music (okay, maybe that is where we are, I'm looking at you, Prince). What you're talking about is setting up your musical endeavors as a sort of charity.
But you are ignoring a key difference, previously discussed: public radio stations with nonprofit status don't have to pay taxes.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu May 07, 2009 12:01 pm

True. I suppose for tax purposes you could qualify the money given to you by family as gifts up to the legal limit, the rest would be taxable I think.

Leviethan
gettin' sounds

Post by Leviethan » Thu May 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Well any money I'm given will be totally written off because every cent will go into either production or sales of the product. And since there's no sales tax in Oregon, I won't be paying any taxes on these "donations" at all. I'll be lucky to break even. Really, they're just pre-orders. You couldn't call this a charity either. I'm one person, and I'm not in desperate need of anything besides funding for a CD. It's not really a necessity for my life. I'll live healthy and happy whether this works or not.
Leviethan

Young Winston
ass engineer

Post by Young Winston » Thu May 07, 2009 3:25 pm

I'll give you ten bucks if you just spell "Leviathan" correctly.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

Leviethan
gettin' sounds

Post by Leviethan » Thu May 07, 2009 8:18 pm

It is spelled correctly. My first name is Levi, my middle name is Ethan. HA!
Leviethan

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu May 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Leviethan wrote:It is spelled correctly. My first name is Levi, my middle name is Ethan. HA!
;ivlunsdystf and 3 others like this.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu May 07, 2009 9:09 pm

;ivlunsdystf wrote:
Leviethan wrote:It is spelled correctly. My first name is Levi, my middle name is Ethan. HA!
;ivlunsdystf and 3 others like this.
i am in a photo somewhere and tagged as "reference D".
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu May 07, 2009 9:41 pm

Joke's on you; due to his horrible non-hiero-approved business model and refusal to put barcodes on his CDs, Young Winston doesn't have ten bucks.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Leviethan
gettin' sounds

Post by Leviethan » Fri May 08, 2009 2:16 am

Big Brother been keepin him down?
Leviethan

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 08, 2009 8:30 am

And on the other hand, he's not wrong--you are spelling "leviathan" wrong. It's "Levi Ethan" you're spelling right. It's more a question of intent.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/