unhyped kick drum mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

User avatar
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist
Posts: 7050
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:15 am
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:51 am

michaelkerchner wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:23 am
I'm Painting Again wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:33 pm
my fav kick mic is a Soundelux/Bock U195
you guys and gals using the LDCs like the u47 variants and such. what positioning are you using? with the dynamics im typically peeking the mic right inside the port of the kick if it has one. is this the same starting position for the condensers or are you outside of the drum a little more?
thanks for putting gals in there - I appreciate that - don't forget non-binary etc. I usually just say people now for general purposes

if you google image search "u47 on kick drum" you'll get copious ideas

I think this type is mostly used in some position for the front skin - either right up on it - inside a tunnel for isolation, etc.

sometimes looking over the front hoop down at the beater too or even pointed at the shell in rare cases

I'm putting it in a place that gives me what I need specifically for the performance in relation to the other mics i.e., to fill in what I need the others don't provide

I work in a style that implements as few mics as possible 99.9% of the time now

if i'm in the situation where it's a big ass multi-mic production and they have the budget to deal with that in the later stages the u47 type is always reserved for the front skin as far as I've seen

what you can get away with is gonna depend on the bass drum playing - how hard they're playing and to a lesser extent the drum and the room

SPL can be fairly soft to blazingly high

the u47 type if i recall correctly is pretty much right at the limits of typical hard kick playing so yea it can be really dicey to get it close in heavy genres

u47 type seems to provide detail, air and big bottom for the bass drum - it's typically used in conjunction with a mic that will get the attack of the beater and or one that will give a woody solid midrange presence

bass drum is hard af to record well imho

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6866
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:27 pm

I'm Painting Again wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:51 am
bass drum is hard af to record well imho
You're not kidding there. I'm always trying different things. Today I tracked a song for a remote client with only 6 open channels on his hard disk recorder. I had to blend an in and out mic to 'tape.' Usually not a huge problem, but I'm also playing, so there's a little running back and forth. For this song I put an e602 II inside, lying on the pillow, cable fished out through the mounting hardware, so I could use a full front head. I put an sE T2 on the outside head, I'm digging that set up, or an M88 inside lately. The client is happy, so I'm happy. He's mixing, but I should put in some time on a serious mix, just to get a better feel for the combos.

User avatar
vernier
gettin' sounds
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:40 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by vernier » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:56 pm

SM57

row
audio school graduate
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:37 am

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by row » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:52 pm

I’m digging my warm 47 fet. Definitely tired of/not sure the b52 is necessary for my Style of music...used it a bunch on alt rock stuff I recorded.. it’s not bad but..

User avatar
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist
Posts: 7050
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:15 am
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:13 am

drumsound wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:27 pm
I'm Painting Again wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:51 am
bass drum is hard af to record well imho
You're not kidding there. I'm always trying different things. Today I tracked a song for a remote client with only 6 open channels on his hard disk recorder. I had to blend an in and out mic to 'tape.' Usually not a huge problem, but I'm also playing, so there's a little running back and forth. For this song I put an e602 II inside, lying on the pillow, cable fished out through the mounting hardware, so I could use a full front head. I put an sE T2 on the outside head, I'm digging that set up, or an M88 inside lately. The client is happy, so I'm happy. He's mixing, but I should put in some time on a serious mix, just to get a better feel for the combos.
playing and engineering with no easy access to move the mic inside is difficult - I actually drum too and play with a full front head - I have to see if i can run a line out through the hardware - I dont' think I can with my kit though but that's a good idea to investigate - thanks

the e602 is cool - I have the first version and it's a really great bass drum mic - that one on the beater the u47 type on front skin and a ribbon out a bit is fuego - provides the complete sound

User avatar
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist
Posts: 7050
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:15 am
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:15 am

vernier wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:56 pm
SM57
yea that one on kick can be perfect for certain styles - and it's really easy to position

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6866
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:52 am

I'm Painting Again wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:13 am
drumsound wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:27 pm
I'm Painting Again wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:51 am
bass drum is hard af to record well imho
You're not kidding there. I'm always trying different things. Today I tracked a song for a remote client with only 6 open channels on his hard disk recorder. I had to blend an in and out mic to 'tape.' Usually not a huge problem, but I'm also playing, so there's a little running back and forth. For this song I put an e602 II inside, lying on the pillow, cable fished out through the mounting hardware, so I could use a full front head. I put an sE T2 on the outside head, I'm digging that set up, or an M88 inside lately. The client is happy, so I'm happy. He's mixing, but I should put in some time on a serious mix, just to get a better feel for the combos.
playing and engineering with no easy access to move the mic inside is difficult - I actually drum too and play with a full front head - I have to see if i can run a line out through the hardware - I dont' think I can with my kit though but that's a good idea to investigate - thanks

the e602 is cool - I have the first version and it's a really great bass drum mic - that one on the beater the u47 type on front skin and a ribbon out a bit is fuego - provides the complete sound
I don't usually have the full head, but I wanted it for some things I'm working one. I don't use the mounting hardware on this BD, so its no problem fishing a cable through it. Its a Yamaha that I bought on its own. My other bass drums don't give me that option. I played without a hole for years and drove FOH guys nuts.

User avatar
digitaldrummer
resurrected
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:51 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 am

Tony is showing great restraint by not commenting on the 57. :rofl:

which as stated, can be perfectly fine for the right situation, but I would not call it "unhyped". It's more anti-hyped.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6866
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:54 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 am
Tony is showing great restraint by not commenting on the 57. :rofl:

which as stated, can be perfectly fine for the right situation, but I would not call it "unhyped". It's more anti-hyped.
The right situation being holding a window open that keep slamming shut. Or possibly beating an intruder.

User avatar
losthighway
deaf.
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by losthighway » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:57 pm

drumsound wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:54 pm
digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 am
Tony is showing great restraint by not commenting on the 57. :rofl:

which as stated, can be perfectly fine for the right situation, but I would not call it "unhyped". It's more anti-hyped.
The right situation being holding a window open that keep slamming shut. Or possibly beating an intruder.
I just give it to my kids and tell them it's a light saber. Or a point it at the bottom head of a snare.

I'd have to be in a pretty weird mood, or in a really weird session to put it up as my choice for the kick but you never know.

User avatar
joninc
deaf.
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: canada
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by joninc » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:19 am

i added the Crimson audio mods to 2 of my 57s to make them a little more useable after swearing off 57s for the better part of 10 years... they have their uses.
the new rules : there are no rules

User avatar
digitaldrummer
resurrected
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:51 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:25 am

joninc wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:19 am
i added the Crimson audio mods to 2 of my 57s to make them a little more useable after swearing off 57s for the better part of 10 years...
after the mods, what do you use them for? did you think the mod was worth it?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

User avatar
joninc
deaf.
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: canada
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by joninc » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:49 pm

I think it was worth it - they sound a little smoother and fuller. Used mostly on electric guitar and sometimes acoustic guitar so far. I have the orange and yellow mods.
the new rules : there are no rules

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist
Posts: 6404
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 11:15 am

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:35 pm

losthighway wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:57 pm
I'd have to be in a pretty weird mood, or in a really weird session to put it up as my choice for the kick but you never know.

I recently learned that the kick mic on Van Halen 1 was a 57. I was like "that explains so much!" Apparently they didn't feel it needed any eq either....

User avatar
A.David.MacKinnon
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:24 pm

By all accounts it was also the kick mic on some of the early 70's John Lennon records.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 123 guests