Fostex E-16 tape counter runs at 1/2 speed

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Fostex E-16 tape counter runs at 1/2 speed

Post by leftofthedial » Thu May 03, 2012 2:09 pm

I recently picked up an E-16 on eBay in pretty darn good shape. I've cleaned it up nice and aligned and calibrated and have been able to solve almost every problem except 2 minor nuisances.

1) The tape counter runs at 30ips which means when I run the unit at the normal 15ips, it logs time at half speed. There is some crude mod on the capstan motor that lets me flip a switch to run at 15ips or 30ips. But no markings on the unit itself to indicate it was factory modded to run at 30ips. Anyway, I am only really interested in running at 15 ups, so it would be great to solve this one. I have fiddled with the jumpers on the capstan and pretty know much how that all works, but it seems to have zero effect on the tape counter.

2) on the remote, channel 16 just blinks. Won't arm. Disconnect the remote, channel 16 is fine.

BTW, the remote has a speed selector and tracks time correctly in both 30ips and 15 ups assuming it is in the same mode as the machine.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. fYI I also have the service manual but it has been years since I could 100% read one of these things.
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 am

2) the ribbon cable might be bad for channel 16

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Fri May 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Problem 2 is now solved. Broken circuit board trace. Fixed with jumper wire.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sat May 19, 2012 11:29 am

E16s are pretty good sounding and reliable machines for their age. I used to own 1 and liked it quite a bit. Sounded very good for 1/2" tape and was extremely reliable. Good on you for fixing the issues and using such a machine.

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Figured out problem 2. There is a connector header on the control board that switches between low speed and high speed capstan speed. In theory, a switch could be installed here to select from 1 of 2 capstan motor speeds. However, the dumbass that made the original mod to allow this machine to run at 15/30ips did it the hard way.